SAELA

Saela.eu NON utilizza cookie proprietari (v. informativa)

Places in historical and artistic value in PARMA (PR)

Title The House of Music
Descriptionhosted in the recently restored Renaissance building known as Cusani Palace , the House of Music is today an international reference point for music research and documentation. It houses the main music institutions of the town, such as the Historical Archive of Theatre Regio, the International ...
AddressPiazzale San Francesco, 1 - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Stuard Gallery
Descriptionthis art gallery houses the most important private collection in the city, more than 270 paintings from the 14th to the 19th century, left in 1834 by will by Giuseppe Stuard to the Congregation of San Filippo Neri. Entrance to the gallery, including primitive Tuscan paintings by Bernardo Daddi, ...
AddressBorgo Del Parmigianino, 2 - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title San Giovanni Old pharmacy
Descriptionthe historical apothecary, dating back to 1201, can be found in the west side of the monastery of San Giovanni. Run by Benedectine monks, the apothecary remained in use until 1766. Bought by the State, it was restored and opened to the public in 1959. In the 16th-17th century interior decorated ...
AddressBorgo Pipa, 1/A - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Permanent exhibition of minerals and fossils
Descriptionhosted in a school, a small collection open to all geology lovers in the School Anna Frank.
AddressStrada Egidio Pini, 16/A - 43126 - Parma (PR)

Title Opera on stage museum. A journey through music theatre in Parma
Descriptionthe museum, hosted in the House of Music - Palazzo Cusani, with objects, affiches, photos, videso, music, information technology. and instruments on display illustres four centuries of opera on stage in Parma. Dedicated to a wide range of visitors, students as well as opera lovers and experts, ...
AddressPiazzale San Francesco, 1 - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Ex pharmacy of St Filippo Neri
Descriptionat the beginning of XVI Century Franciscan friar Francesco da Meda found the Congregation of Charity to help poor people. Inside the Ex Farmacia of Congregazione della Carità San Filippo Neri there are two big rooms. The ceiling of the entrance is frescoed and in the wall there are memorial ...
AddressVicolo San Tiburzio, 5 - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Natural history museum
Descriptionthe Museum of Natural History was founded as the court museum by J.B. Fourcault, in 1766, being later directed by distinguished scientists such as Peregrin von Strobel and Angelo Andres. It hosts pricipally zoological exhibitions, but ethnographic collections are even present. Among them, the ...
AddressStrada Dell'Università, 12 - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title National gallery
Descriptionthe National Gallery is located on the second floor of the Pilotta Palace. Started by the Dukes of Parma, Don Philip and Don Ferdinand of Bourbon, it was subsequently enriched by the acquisitions made by Marie Louise of Austria, thereby originating the important collections of the picture ...
AddressPiazza della Pilotta, 9/A - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title National archaeological museum
Descriptionthe Ducal museum of antiquities was founded in Parma in 1760 by Don Philip of Bourbon in order to preserve the finds from excavations carried out at Veleia, a small Roman town on the Apennines near Piacenza. The Tabula Alimentaria of Emperor Trajan, containing directions for the maintenance of ...
AddressPilotta Palace, Piazza della Pilotta, 9/A - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title National Academy of Arts and Archive
Descriptionthe Academy, originally a private school called Lombarda, was recognized in 1752 by Don Philip of Bourbon and turned into an Academy in 1757. Distinguished artists and architects such as Petitot, Boudard, Peroni, Bresciani, Baldrighi, Du Bois and Ravenet were among the teachers of the Academy, ...
AddressViale Toschi, 1 - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title House of sound
Descriptiondedicated to sound reproduction systems, the museum displays a rich collection gathered by don Giovanni Patanè. More than 400 items from phonographs to mp3, including a wide range of vintage radios. Showing the most striking technical developments in music communication of 20th century and ...
AddressPiazzale Salvo D'acquisto, 1 - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Glauco Lombardi museum
Descriptionthe Palace of Reserves, by Ennemond Petitot , has housed the Glauco Lombardi Museum since 1961. The museum hosts and preserves a rich artistic and historical documentation on the Duchy of Parma from the second half of the 18th century to the Unity of Italy, particularly on the reign of Marie ...
AddressStrada Garibaldi, 15 - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Giordano Ferrari museum or puppets castle
Descriptionthe museum Giordano Ferrari or Castle of puppets is the most important collection in Italy dedicated to the animation theatre. About 2842 pieces, between puppets, marionettes, heads, 637 stage objects, scenery, pictures and posters, 438 scripts (more of them manuscripts), a specific library ...
AddressVia Melloni, 3/A - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Explosives museum and academy
Descriptionthe Institute for researches on explosives (IRE) plays host to a significant collection of artifacts, technical reports, documents and case studies relating to the use and disposal of explosives in time of peace for commercial purposes, law enforcement and security and how they improve our life ...
AddressStrada Santa Margherita, 10/a - 43123 - Parma (PR)

Title Diocesan museum
Descriptionthe archaelogical excavations made for the 2000 Jubilee on the Cathedral square and at the Bishop's palace, produced exceptional results for the reconstruction of the urbanistic evolution of the North-East part of the city during the Romanesque and Middle age times. The find of a city walls ...
AddressVicolo Del Vescovado, 1/A - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Costantinian Museum of the Steccata
Descriptionthe order of knights founded at the time of Emperor Costantino still owns the most beautiful Renaissance church of Parma, the Sanctuary of Steccata , hosting a treasure of art and history gathered along the centuries. The museum of the Ordine Costantiniano certainly stands out among the museums ...
AddressVia Dante Alighieri, 8/A - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Sant'Andrea Gallery
DescriptionJust around the corner from the busy shopping streets of the historical centre, the small deconsecrated church of Sant'Andrea now plays host to art exhibitions and cultural events. Recorded in documents since 1216, despite being almost completely rebuilt by provost Beato Martino in 1260, it ...
AddressStrada Giordano Cavestro, 6/A - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title San Ludovico gallery
DescriptionFormerly an homonymous church now deconsecrated, the San Ludovico Gallery was once part of the monastery of St Paul, founded in the 10th century by bishop Sigifredo II. The present features of the building date to the second half of the 18th century, when Antonio and Nicolò Bettòli modified it ...
AddressBorgo del Parmigianino, 2 - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Chinese art Museum
Descriptionthe collection was started at the end of 19th century, by Guido Maria Conforti Bishop of Parma, who believed missionaries should bring back objects from the land of missions as an evidence of popular customs and different cultures, and preserve them with educational aims for future missionaries. ...
AddressViale San Martino, 8 - 43123 - Parma (PR)

Title Bodoni museum
Descriptionthe museum is entirely devoted to the typographer Giambattista Bodoni, who invented new typographical characters, later known as Bodonian, and as the head of Parma Royal Printing Works from 1768, managed to transform it in an international printing centre endowed with excellent quality ...
AddressPalazzo della Pilotta, Piazza della Pilotta, 3/A - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Birthplace and museum of Arturo Toscanini
DescriptionArturo Toscanini was born in Parma 1867 and entered the Royal School of Music at the age of nine, graduating in cello and composition at 18 years old. He started his career as a conductor immediately after, becoming one of the greatest performers of all times. His birthplace, a modest house on ...
AddressBorgo Rodolfo Tanzi, 13/A - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Amedeo Bocchi Museum
Descriptionthe museum is dedicated to the parmesan painter Amedeo Bocchi , opened in 1999, it is hosted in the restored rooms of the ancient Sanvitale palace , headquarter of the Banca Monte Parma and Monte di Parma Foundation, located in the historical center of Parma. Amedeo Bocchi (Parma 1883 - Roma ...
AddressPalazzo Sanvitale, Strada Cairoli - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Alice museum
Descriptiondedicated to rural life, the museum displays several items and tools gathered by Carlo Barbozza such as sifters, sickles, wine barrels, ploughs and wooden carts.
AddressVia Tenchini Lorenzo, 38 - Parma (PR)

Title Chamber of Saint Paul and Saint Catherine's cell
DescriptionThe chamber of Saint Paul used to be part of the abbess' apartment in the Benedectine Convent of Saint Paul, decorated from 1514 at the order of Abbess Giovanna da Piacenza, whose priorate was characterized by a lively cultural life. The frescoes painted by Correggio in 1519 can be considered ...
AddressVia Melloni, 3/A - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Monastery and church of San Giovanni Evangelista
Descriptionthe monastery structure is formed with the Church, the Monastery and the San Giovanni Old pharmacy . The church was built for the Benedectine order between 1498 and 1510 but its elaborate white marble Baroque facade contrasts with the Renaissance architecture of the cloisters and convent. In ...
AddressPiazzale San Giovanni, 1 - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Church of St Mary of Angels Monastery of Clarisses
Descriptionthe church of Saint Mary of the Angels, commonly said of the Jesus Child, featuring an arcade with domed arch and two orthogonal sides, was built on a project by architect Gian Francesco Testa between 1565-69. The rectangular interior is divided into three aisles separated by eight marble ...
AddressStrada Farini, 73 - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Basilica of St Mary of Steccata
Descriptionthis outstanding Renaissance church, one of the most splendid of the town, was begun in 1521 in order to give shelter to a picture of the Madonna said to be miraculous that originally hung on the wall of a small oratory called "dello steccato" or wooden shield. Consecrated in 1539, the church is ...
AddressPiazza della Steccata, 9 - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Charterhouse of Paradigna or Valserena
Descriptionnowadays the Charterhouse hosts the Csac . The Charterhouse of Paradigna, that inspired French writer Stendhal for his novel The Charterhouse of Parma, was built between 1314 and 1324 by benedictine workers. It is one of the most beautiful examples of the Cistercian culture, with squared apses, ...
AddressVia Colorno, 87 - 43122 - Parma (PR)

Title Charterhouse
Descriptionnothing remains of the structure established in 1285 by the Carthusian Order wher they lived for 483 years. Abolished in 1769, the original building has been radically changed and the Charterhouse once even housed a cigarette factory and an education institute. It is now used as a training ...
AddressStrada Della Certosa, 20 - 43122 - Parma (PR)

Title Church of Santa Maria dei Servi
Descriptionthe building, altered several times during the centuries, was originally built in 15th century. Nowadays the church is used both as a chapel and a theatre.
AddressPiazzale Dei Servi, 1 - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Church of Santa Lucia
Descriptionthe church of St. Lucy, mentioned for the first time in 1223, was rebuilt at the end of 17th century, on a design by Mauro Oddi. The facade boasts statues of St. Ilario, St. Biagio and Saint Lucy, while the interior is frescoed by Filippo Maria Galletti. The church has been recently restored ...
AddressStrada Cavour, 11 - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Church of Santa Croce
Descriptionthe church of Santa Croce, standing in the huge Santa Croce square at the end of the straight line of Via D'Azeglio, was built in the early decades of 12th century along the path of pilgrims bound to Rome following the Francigena route . It was altered in 1415 and radically transformed in the ...
AddressPiazzale Santa Croce, 1/B - 43125 - Parma (PR)

Title Church of Santa Cristina
Descriptioneven if it was first mentioned in 987AD, the present church of Santa Cristina was built in 1649 and can be considered one of the most valuable works of the 17th century. However, due to a lack of funds, both the higher and lower façade and the apse have remained incomplete. The interior is ...
AddressStrada della Repubblica, 23 - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Church of Santa Caterina
Descriptionfounded by the Augustinian hermits of Sant'Agostino around the 14th century, the church passed in 1877 to the Capuchins who restored and modified the building. The interior has only a nave with three chapels on each side. In the wooden ancon of the high altar, by Giacinto of the Gussola and ...
AddressVicolo S. Caterina, 13/A - 43125 - Parma (PR)

Title Church of San Sepolcro
Descriptionthe church of the Holy Sepulchre was built in 1257 in place of a former one, dating back to 1100 and mentioned the first time in 1136. Built in Gothic style, it has been broadly altered and the Gothic little windows are now only on the left side. In 1506 the church was adapted to the ...
AddressStrada della Repubblica, 76 - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Church of San Rocco
Descriptionclose to the seat of the University of Parma, the church of St. Rocco and the annexed convent was given to manage to the Jesuits in 1564. A curvilinear gable was added to the 16th century facade during the first half of the 18th century. Recently the church is managed by Diocesi.
AddressStrada Dell'Universita', 10 - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Church of San Giacomo
Descriptionthe earliest records about this church date back to 1143, but it was rebuilt in 1732 and modified again in 1922, when decorations and small neo-romanesque pillars were added. The tower, however, preserves its original structure. The interior has only a nave with two side-chapels.
AddressBorgo San Giacomo - 43125 - Parma (PR)

Title Charterhouse
DescriptionNothing remains of the structure established in 1285 by the Carthusian Order and abolished in 1769: the original building has been radically changed and the Charterhouse once even housed a cigarette factory and an education institute. It is now used as a training school for prison warders. The ...
AddressStr Della Certosa, 20 - 43122 - Parma (PR)

Title Catholic church of St Giuseppe
Descriptionbuilt on the remains of an ancient oratory between 1629 and 1634 on a design by Gerolamo Rainaldi, the church gives its name to the street, or Borgo, where it is located. Its baroque facade is the result of works carried out in 1782 by Antonio Brianti. The one nave interior has three chapels on ...
AddressBorgo San Giuseppe, 13/A - 43125 - Parma (PR)

Title Catholic church of San Benedetto
Descriptionannexed to the ancient Benedectine monastery dating back to 947, the church of St. Benedetto was rebuilt between 1491 and 1506 by Pellegrino da Pontremoli, Bernardino Zaccagni and master mason Angelo. A fine earthenware frieze decorates the facade while frescoes by Antonio Bresciani and Gaetano ...
AddressPiazzale San Benedetto Da Norcia, 1 - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Catholic church of Ognissanti
Descriptioneven though it could have been built before, we have records of this church since 1230. The present building dates back to the 17th century, while changes were made in the interior and a Romanesque facade was added in 1826. A noteworthy version of the Paradise by Lanfranco, painted by Giuseppe ...
AddressStrada Bixio Nino, 113 - 43125 - Parma (PR)

Title Cathedral
DescriptionThe bell tower is now covered with scaffoldings after the flash of lightening that hit the Angiol d'or and the tower's . The cathedral, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, can be considered one of the finest examples of Romanesque architecture in Italy. It was erected by the heretic bishop Cadalus, ...
AddressPiazza Duomo, 1 - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Baptistery
Descriptionbuilt between 1196 ad 1307, the pink marble Baptistery is a clear example of the transition from Romanesque to Gothic art in Italy. This octagonal baptistery built of Verona marble with four tiers of open loggias topped by a row of blind arches and crowning pinnacles, is certainly the most ...
AddressPiazza Duomo - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Old parish churches in the province
Descriptionpieve in Italian means Parish, a word dating to 877 coming from the Latin plebs, meaning both the people united in community and the place where they gather together. Parish churches were used to impart baptism, bless the women in childbirth, administer the holy oil, impose the penances, receive ...
AddressParma (PR)

Title Parish churches of the mountains
DescriptionParish church of Bardone: dedicated to Maria Assunta, it was built in the mid 11th century, the same time of the nearby parish church of Sasso. Extended in the 12th century and accurately ristored in 20th century it only preserves a few original walls and an apse as well as two carved stones ...
AddressParma (PR)

Title Parish churches of the lowland
DescriptionParish church of Basilicanova: named after St John the Baptist, it was totally burnt down by a fire in 1334 and rebuilt in1521. Byzantine style patterns were added in 1915 while the belltower dates back to the end of 18th century. Parish church of Carignano: named after St Peter the Apostle, it ...
AddressParma (PR)

Title Church of St Giminiano
Descriptionthe parish church of Vicofertile, whose simple facade is decorated with pilasters and arch shaped friezes, was enlarged in the 13th century. A central nave and two aisles are divided by columns boasting capitals carved with leaves, geometrical decorations, human figures and imaginary animals ...
AddressVia Roma, 86 - 43126 - Parma (PR)

Title San Pietro church
Descriptionthe facade, designed in 1762 by the architect Ennemond Petitot, is on the west side of the main square. Inside, the church has one nave, altars on the sides and a high dome frescoed in the first half of the 18th century by Giovanni Antonio Vezzani, who also painted the frescoes on the vault and ...
AddressPiazza Garibaldi - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Ex church of St Francesco di Paola or Torre dei Paolotti
Descriptiontogheter with the annexed monastery, the former church of San Francesco di Paola now plays host to a faculty of the University of Parma. Built in 1625, it features two beatiful bell towers, known as Torri dei Paolotti, adorning the baroque facade designed by the architect from Piacenza Carlo ...
AddressStrada D'Azeglio, 85/A - 43125 - Parma (PR)

Title Church of St Vitale
Descriptiona first mention of the building dedicated to St. Vitale dates to 9th century and the tradition says that it was founded by King Pipino of France. In 1651 it was demolished to rebuild a greater church, whose present shape is the Latin cross with only one nave ending in a large presbytery ...
AddressStrada della Repubblica, 5 - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Church of St Uldarico
Descriptionthe ancient Benedictine Church of St. Uldarico was built before the year 1000 on the ruins of a Roman theatre of the imperial age, probably destroyed in the 6th century. First records of that building, of which only the rectangular tower partially survives, date back to 1005-1015. In 1440 ...
AddressBorgo Felino, 2 - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Church of St Tommaso Apostolo
Descriptionthe church of St. Tommaso was already in existence in 1028 and on the side running along Borgo Antini terra cotta decorations belonging to the original building are still evident. The one nave interior has four chapels on each side. In the second one is placed the Pietà by Bresciani. Underneath ...
AddressStada Farini, 38/A - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Church of St Tiburzio
Descriptionthe greek-cross plan church, now desecrated, was built in 1720. In the facade, two statues are set in niches while the fine interior features an octagonal shape. On the dome are depicted the four evangelists and Our Lady of the Assumption. It is believed that on the spot of this church, there ...
AddressBgo Palmia, 6/A - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Church of St Quintino
Descriptionthe church of St. Quintino was first mentioned in 883, but as it was rebuilt towards the 12th century, only a capital and a stone door showing Romanesque features remain of that time. Even the orientation was different, as the facade remained behind the existing building. The interior shows ...
AddressStrada XX Luglio, 34 - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Church of St Michele dell'Arco
Descriptionthe church of Saint Michael of the arch derives its name from a nearby triumphal arch erected for the emperor Gallieno. It was first mentioned in 1136 and in 1514 it was rebuilt on the basis of a drawing by Giorgio da Erba with a nave and two side altars. In 1721 the interior was enlarged with ...
AddressStrada della Repubblica, 99 - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Church of St Bartolomeo
Descriptionfirst mentioned in 835, the church of St. Bartolomeo was rebuilt in 1663. However, a wall of the former building still exists, as can be seen thanks to a few late Gothic windows on the left side. The tower dates back to the 17th century while the façade was restored during works carried out in ...
AddressVia Carducci - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Church of St Barnaba
Descriptionthe church of San Barnaba is renowned for giving during the centuries its name to the homonymous door of the town and to the present Garibaldi street. The earliest records about its structure date back to 1187, when the church was still located outside the walls of the city. Restored in 1647, ...
AddressVia Affo' Ireneo, 1/C - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Church of St Antonio Abate
Descriptionfounded by the monks of St. Antonio in 1402, the church of St. Antonio Abate was designed by Ferdinando Bibiena and built in two different times. Works actually begun under the direction of master builders Cristoforo and Angelo Bettoli in 1712, but were interrupted two years later and started ...
AddressStrada della Repubblica, 54/A - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Church of St Alessandro
Descriptionthe church, existing already in 837, was rebuilt in 1527 on a project by Bernardino Zaccagni. The interior was completely modified in 1622 by Giovan Battista Magnani, who created one of the most meaningful works of the late Mannerism in Parma, giving it the shape of the arch of triumph and ...
AddressVicolo S. Alessandro, 1 - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Church of Ss. Annunziata
Descriptionthe church, designed by Giovan Battista Fornovo at the time of his collaboration with architect Vignola, has an elliptical body expanding in ten radial chapels with buttresses at regular intervals. The Annunciation is celebrated on the Friars' commission above the main portal, in a stucco relief ...
AddressStrada Imbriani, 4 - 43125 - Parma (PR)

Title Church of Santissima Trinità
Descriptionearly records of the church of Santissima Trinità date back to 1230 and its facade actually shows some Romanesque features. Widened in 1755, it later underwent several changes. The interior is divided into three naves, with a 18th century marble and wrought iron balustrade in the presbitery. ...
AddressBorgo Trinita', 5 - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Church of St Ippolito and St Cassiano
Descriptionthe main features of the old parish church of Gaione are the Romanesque pillars of the naves and the vaults dating back to 16th and 17th centuries, while the presbytery was built during restoration works after second world war. Even thought during the centuries the church was transformed several ...
AddressViale Don Aldo Bernardi, 18 - 43124 - Parma (PR)

Title Parish churches of the hills
DescriptionParish church of Arola: dedicated to San Martino, it is also known as the Old church. The only original features can be seen in the facade: two full centre arches and a pilster on the side. Parish church of Barbiano: dedicated to Sant'Antonio or San Antonino Martire and also known as Ciriana, it ...
AddressParma (PR)

Title Church of St Marcellino
Descriptiondesigned by Giorgio da Erba, the church of St. Marcellino was built between 1533 and 1534. The linear façade has two floors and four golden pillars supporting the trabeation and the triangular pediment. In the simple single nave interior can be seen a tribute to Giulio Romano. From 23 October ...
AddressStrada Collegio Dei Nobili - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Church of Santa Maria del Fiore
Descriptionbuilt in 1635, the church of Santa Maria del Fiore was restored and enlarged in 1758. It only had a nave with three altars for the veneration of a Madonna that used to be painted on a house of Borgo Fiore. Frescoes by Pietro Rubini can still be admired in its interior.
AddressStrada Massimo D'azeglio, 50/A - 43125 - Parma (PR)

Title Church of Santa Elisabetta
Descriptionbuilt in 1662 this former church has a square plan with ionic pillars. On the south side, a chapel known as "church of the nuns" still shows parmesan features of the beginning of 17th century. Now desecrated and belonging to the Municipality of Parma, the building has been restored and ...
AddressBorgo degli Studi - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Church of St Quirino
Descriptionthe present oratory of St. Quirino, first built in 1331, was later rebuilt in 1734. Designed by Edelberto della Nave, the architect of Church of San Tiburzio, of church tower of Charterhouse and chorus of Church of Steccata. The church has octagonal plan, the frescoes by Giovanni Bolla and ...
AddressBorgo Gian Domenico Romagnosi - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Church of Santa Teresa di Gesù Bambino
Descriptionthe Church of Santa Teresa del Bambino Gesù of Carmelite Fathers was built in 1604 as Oratorio dei Rossi by Rossi brotherhood. The church was attached to Church of Santissima Trinità and nowdays they are separated. In 1636 was widened by the architect Girolamo Rainaldi and later by Stefano ...
AddressStrada Garibaldi, 28 - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Church of Santa Maria Maddalena
Descriptionfirst records of Santa Maria Maddalena date back to 1230 and in 15th and 16th century it used to host the suffragan bishop. Rebuilt by Luigi Ardenghi in 16th century, it has a quadrangular plan with three altars and decorations on the dome vault. Unfortunaly only one altar is now left in the ...
AddressBorgo Della Posta, 19 - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Church of Santa Maria del Quartiere
Descriptionthis votive church stands in the centre of an area known as Quartiere since the times it used to house a military garrison. Its hexagonal plan with rectangular chapels was designed in 17th century by G.B. Aleotti and later modified by G.B. Magnani. A majestic dome frescoed by P.A.Bernabei ...
AddressStrada del Quartiere - 43125 - Parma (PR)

Title Oratory of St Ilario
DescriptionThis small oratory, part of a larger structure called Ospedale Vecchio, is dedicated to St Ilario, the patron saint of Parma. Built in 1663 at the will of Don Francesco Roncaglia, it is divided into three aisles separated by pillared columns with stucco grooves. 17th century frescoes by G. M. ...
AddressVia D'Azeglio, 43 - 43125 - Parma (PR)

Title Oratory of Santa Maria delle Grazie
DescriptionBuilt between 1617 and 1644 in order to house the image of a miracolous 16th century Madonna of the Grace, still hanging on the altar, the oratory was designed in Baroque style by G.B.Magnani and G.Rainaldi. Shaped around a central plan, it boasts Rococo decorations and frescoed by Sebastiano ...
AddressBorgo Delle Grazie, 3 - 43125 - Parma (PR)

Title Church of San Francesco del Prato and Concezione Oratory
Descriptionamong the masterpieces of Gothic-Franciscan art in Emilia, the Church of Saint Francesco del Prato was unfortunately turned into a jail in 1810 and later became dilapidated. The beginning of its construction probably dates back to 1240-50, even though we have no records of it until 1298. The ...
AddressStrada Pietro Del Prato, 4 - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title The sacellum of San Paolo
Descriptionet inside the ancient Monastery of San Paolo, the sacellum is the oldest part of this monastic centre established in Medieval times. The square form of the room and the ceiling about 8 metres high give it a cubicle shape. At the corners, four circular brick pillars carry full centre arches while ...
AddressBorgo del Parmigianino, 2 - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Niccolò Paganini Auditorium
Descriptiona former sugar factory built in 1899 and dilapidated since the end of the 60's, the Auditorium Paganini has been converted into a concert hall by famous architect Renzo Piano. The main building, located in a park and still preserving its original architectural features, now houses a foyer, a ...
AddressVia Toscana, 5/A - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Modern architecture in Parma
Descriptionthe Romanesque, Renaissance and Neoclassic jewels of Parma coexist with modern architectures designed by international architects: 2012: Europa bridge 2011: Piazza Ghiaia the renovation of Piazza Ghiaia is finished after three years of work and today it's covered by a sail in glass and steel. ...
AddressParma (PR)

Title Barilla center
Descriptionponsored by the Barilla family together with the Municipality of Parma, the Barilla center is the result of the conversion of the industrial area where in 1910 Mr Barilla installed his first pasta factory, a plan of urban upgrading designed by famous architect Renzo Piano. Focusing on ...
AddressVia Emilia Est - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Varoli Piazza house
Descriptionin a hall on the first floor, a coffered ceiling of the 17th century is still preserved. It is divide into four medallions decorated with winged puttos.
AddressStrada della Repubblica, 53 - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title University Palace
Descriptionthe construction of this building starts in 1654 thanks to the deed of gift of the Jesuit father Giovanni Federico Cusani. The terra cotta construction is unfinished. In the facade, three stone frames separate the ground floor and the first floor, both marked by two lines of framed windows. ...
AddressStrada Dell'Universita', 12 - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Town hall palace
Descriptiontanding on the south side of Garibaldi square, the massive brick built building, now housing the Town hall, designed by the Parmesan architect G.B Magnani in 1623 and completed in 1673, reminds us in the motif, cavities and panels of the Renaissance Farnese Palace in Piacenza. The Council Hall ...
AddressStrada della Repubblica, 1/A - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Tirelli house
Descriptiontwo windows and a portal, still intact, are the main architectural featurs of this private palace built in the early Renaissance. Inside, Empire style furniture has been perfectly preserved.
AddressBorgo San Vitale, 6 - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Soragna Tarasconi Palace
Descriptioninside the palace there is a wide courtyard with an arcade dominated by a renaissance portico, built in 1604. The helicoidal shaped staircase, with a brickwork parapet on which are Doric columns, has been recently attributed to Testa. Among the rooms should be mentioned two of them on the ...
AddressStrada Farini, 37 - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Seminario Minore
Descriptionthe high amount of the aspirants to priesthood and the wish of following the example of the Seminary in Berceto, convinced the Bishop Guido Maria Conforti to start the project of building a new Seminary. The design and the construction were committed to the architect Camillo Uccelli and the ...
AddressViale Solferino, 25 - 43123 - Parma (PR)

Title Seminario Maggiore
Descriptionthe present building dates back to the end of the 19th century but its origins can be traced at the beginning of the 16th century as the facade, designed by Gianfranco Ferrari d'Agrate still shows. It was the time when the vicarage was created to host the general Gymnasium, a public school ...
AddressVia Cardinal Ferrari, 1 - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Sanvitale Palace
Descriptionthe palace was once the residence of one of the most important lineages of Parma, the Sanvitale family, who lived there from the 17th century when Duke Ranuccio II Farnese gave them The Rocchetta Theatre as exchange for some buildings. The theatre's back part of the present entrance could at one ...
AddressPiazzale Sanvitale, 1 - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Ex Simonetta palace
Descriptiona noteworthy sitting room on the first floor of this palace was frescoed by G. B. Borghesi, who depictid a woman with a putto holding up the coat of arms of the Simonetta family.
AddressBorgo delle Colonne, 2 - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Ex Albergo della Posta
Descriptionthe palace, belonging to the Paveri-Fontana family, recorded in documents since the 18th century, was the Albergo della posta until 1880. Among its wealthy and high-class guests, it played host to Peter Leopold, Joseph II from Austria, Josephine Beauharnais, first wife of Napoleon and probably ...
AddressStrada della Repubblica, 35 - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Ducal palace
Descriptionan avenue through the park and four 18th century statues by J.B. Boudard lead to the ducal residence. Created by Vignola in 16th century for Ottavio Farnese, it was later transformed and enlarged by Ennemond Petitot in the 18th century by adding four corner pavillions. The palace, which nowadays ...
AddressParco Ducale, 3 - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Dazzi palace ex Corradi Cervi
Descriptioncommissioned by marquis Gian Francesco Corradi Cervi to parmesan architect Domenico Cossetti, an apprentice of Petitot, the palace was built between 1794 and 1797. The main features of its facade are several windows and a balcony with banisters and two Corinthian columns. Inside, a gallery with ...
AddressStrada della Repubblica, 44 - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Dalcò Guarini palace
Descriptionin spite of its 19th century facade, the palace was built between the 16th and 17th century. The interiors are finely decorated by parmesan artists who depicted the three Graces in one of the halls and Bacchus and Ariadne on a vault. Girolamo Magnani also painted a sleeping woman carried by ...
AddressStrada della Repubblica, 95 - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Cusani palace
Descriptionrichly decorated by exquisite paintings and sculptures and now the seat of the House of music , an important reference point for music research and documentation, Cusani Palace was built in the second half of 15th century by the parmesan branch of the noble Cusani family and given over to the ...
AddressPiazzale San Francesco, 1 - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Cordero house ex Piazza house
Descriptionthe front of the palace is decorated by a perspective fresco, that now is being restored to unveil the original 18th century frescoes by Bibiena brothers. Carlo Innocenzo Frugoni, poet at the Farnese and Bourbons courts, once lived in one of the apartements.
AddressStrada Felice Cavallotti, 38 - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Collegio Maria Luigia
Descriptionthe 16th century Collegio Maria Luigia, built on the site of a previous palace called Arena, dating back to 1159, the time of Federico I, was enlarged and transformed between 1836 and 1847 by Nicola Bettoli. The architect had been entrusted with the works by Marie Louise from Austria, who wanted ...
AddressBorgo Lalatta, 14/A - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Chiari palace ex Rossi di San Secondo
Descriptionthe palace can boast a beautiful wooden caisson ceiling and frescoes dating to 16th century, recently restored.
AddressStrada della Repubblica, 58 - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Cassa di Risparmio Palace
Descriptionbesides its Renaissance facade and a hall inspired by classical style, the palace can boast a display of precious art works and two decorated council halls. The first one was frescoed by Girolamo Magnani in 1875 and the second one by Amedeo Bocchi, depicting symbolic images on the theme of ...
AddressPiazza Garibaldi, 9/A - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Rota Palace
Descriptionthe palace still has a Cecrope Barilli fresco on the vault of the staircase, depicting a hunting Diana.
AddressVia Petrarca, 18 - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Rolli palace ex Toccoli
Descriptionon the ceiling of a hall of this palace a noteworthy frescoe by G.B. Borghesi depicts a woman presenting the coat of arms of the Toccoli family and a putto holding up the motto Tergit non ardet.
AddressBorgo Tommasini, 4 - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Riserva palace or central post office
Descriptionthis great building, bounded by Piazza della Pace, Via Pisacane, Strada Cavour and Via Melloni, including since 1909 the Palace of the Poste, originally consisted of various houses in the middle of which stood the parish church of St. Michele del Pertugio. The church was demolished in 1653 and ...
AddressStrada Melloni, 4/C - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Regio Theatre
Descriptioncommissioned by Maria Luigia and designed by Nicola Bettoli, the Regio theatre was built between 1821 and 1829 on the site of the Benedectine convent of St. Alessandro. The neoclassical facade has a portico with ten Ionic columns, a double row of windows and decorations by Tommaso Bandini on ...
AddressStrada Garibaldi, 16/A - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Rangoni Farnese palace
Descriptionnow the seat of the prefecture, this palace was bought in 1572 by Count Giulio Rangoni, lord of Roccabianca, from Bartolomeo Cantelli. In 1690 the building became the residence of the Farnese princes and their coat of arms can still be seen on the entrance portal. After the death of Ludovico IV ...
AddressStrada della Repubblica, 39/A - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Pilotta palace
Descriptionthis vast but unfinished complex, named after the game pelota that was played in one of the courtyards, was built in the second half of the 16th century at the order of Ranuccio I around the Visconti stronghold and alongside the existing church of San Pietro martire. This Farnese palace was ...
AddressPiazza della Pilotta - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Pigorini Palace
Descriptionrecords of the original layout of Pigorini palace in the Sardi Atlas (1767) show it not too different from today, even though the building was probably built much earlier in time. The palace is actully a small house with a courtyard and corridor providing access to the stairway and originally ...
AddressStrada della Repubblica, 29/A - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Pallavicino palace
Descriptioneat of the Regional administration law-court since 1977, the palace was commissioned by Alfonso Pallavicino from Zibello in 1646 and built on the spot of a 15th century palace belonging to the Sforza of Santafiora family. The façade dates back to 1705 and is characterised by windows of different ...
AddressPiazzale Santafiora, 7 - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Palazzetto Eucherio Sanvitale
Descriptionthe Palazzetto Eucherio San Vitale, built in 1520, is a remarkable example of Reinassance architecture. It is an H shaped building, with four corner towers connected by loggias and windows decorated with sandstone candlesticks. In the interior, recent retoration works have revealed fragments of ...
AddressParco Ducale, 87/A - 43125 - Parma (PR)

Title Palace of the Province
Descriptionthe building, seat of the provincial council, was built in 1833 on a project by Nicola Bettoli even though today not much is left of the original design. In the council hall a cycle of frescoes depicting realistic scenes about work, riots and the Resistence was painted between 1953 and 1956 by ...
AddressPiazza della Pace, 1 - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Casino Petitot
Descriptionthe so-called Stradone, with the Casino set at its east end, was the first ever italian boulevard following the French style. It was court architect A.E. Petitot, entrusted with the work by minister Du Tillot, who created in 1759 an elegant avenue lined with trees, divided into three lanes: the ...
AddressPiazza Risorgimento, 9/A - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Carmi palace
Descriptionfine example of 18th century aristocratic dwelling, Carmi palace, built between 1825 and 1830, was designed by architect Paolo Gazzola from Piacenza. Gazzola was inspired for the facade by palace Corradi-Cervi and managed to obtain a light effect, elegant and solemn at the same time, by mixing ...
AddressStrada Farini, 43 - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Bulloni Serra palace
Descriptionfamous engraver Paolo Toschi and chemist Giacomo Tommasini both lived in this palace still showing a fine 19th century facade designed by Rizzardi-Pollini. The building belonged to the Crescini family, among whose members were the abbot of St John the Evangelist, Bishop of Parma from 1823 to ...
AddressStrada della Repubblica, 40/A - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Bossi Bocchi palace Cariparma Foundation
Descriptionthe Museum houses several paintings giving evidence of the artistic activity in the Parma area between 17th and 20th century: works by 17th century's painter Felice Boselli and two by Cristoforo Caselli, known as the Temperello. To be noticed are also a couple of portraits depicting Ranuccio I ...
AddressStrada Ponte Caprazucca, 4 - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Borri palace
Descriptionbelonging to one of the oldest families of Parma, the palace has been altered several times along the centuries. Exquisite paintings by Jacopo Bertoja and Mirola decorate the hall and two rooms, depicting hunting and classical scenes and coats of arms. Along the staircase is set a monument by ...
AddressPiazzale Salvo D'acquisto, 1 - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Bocchi or Torelli palace
DescriptionBuilt in 1829 on the site of a former palace of the 15th - 16th century, it preserves on the ground floor a vaulted room frescoed by Baglioni and his school.
AddressStrada Farini, 39 - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Bishop's palace
Descriptionbuilt for the first time in the 11th century, the Bishop's palace was rebuilt several times. As a consequence, the inner courtyard was added in the 16th century while the facade dates back to the beginning of the 20th century. Moreover, recent restoration works have brought to light again ...
AddressPiazza Duomo, 1 - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Belloni or Giandemaria palace
Descriptionrebuilt at the end of 17th century, the palace still preserves the beautiful terracotta portal, windows with 18th century frames, a majestic staircase and three inner courts, once finely decorated.
AddressBorgo Tommasini, 20 - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Bassani palace
Descriptionthis 19th century palace once belonged the Campolonghi family, spirits dealers and fervent believers in liberalism. Inside, it boasts a fresco by G.B. Borghesi.
AddressStrada della Repubblica, 42 - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Arrigo Boito Music Conservatorio ex Carmine Convent
Descriptionfounded in 1888 in the former convent of the Carmine and dedicated to Arrigo Boito, the Conservatorio has its origins in the Music school established by Marie Louise of Austria in 1819 and enlarged in 1825, where students could learn how to play an instrument: violin, oboe, flatus, double bass, ...
AddressStrada Conservatorio, 27/A - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Meli Lupi palace now Unione Parmense Industriali
Descriptionin 1795 nobles Meli Lupi bought a dilapedated building from the Dalla Rosa family and entrusted Angelo Rasori with transforming it into a neoclassical and elegant palace. The main features of the ashlar facade are a balcony and a huge portal leading into a large court surrounded by porches. ...
AddressStrada Ponte Caprazucca, 6/A - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Marchi palace
Descriptionthe building, designed by abbot and architect Giovanni Furlani, was commissioned by Scipione Grillo. The main facade, boasting a fake ashlar work, is decorated by denticular eaves and white stucco. Marble colums, at the sides of the massive portal, hold up a balcony. Two huge inner courts are ...
AddressStrada della Repubblica, 57 - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Law court palace
Descriptionthe palace stands on the spot where the College of Nobles, founded by Ranuccio I in 1601 and closed by Marie Louise from Austria in 1831, once had its seat. The style of the facade, made of brickwork, marble and stone, reminds us of Farnese palace in Rome. The lower part main features are two ...
AddressPiazzale Corte D'appello, 1 - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Intendenza di Finanza or Palace of the Minister
Descriptionthe seat of the Duchy governement and of officials after the unity of Italy, the palace had been designed by Petitot and built around 1760. Art works belonging to the National gallery are kept in the precious interiors, still bearing evidence of the splendour of the Duchy.
AddressStrada Garibaldi, 24 - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Governor's palace
Descriptionlocated on the northern side of Piazza Garibaldi, the palace used to be the seat of the Capitano del Popolo and combines two buildings dating to 13th century. After undergoing several transformations, it was redesigned in 1760 by Ennemond Alexandre Petitot, a French architect working at the ...
AddressPiazza Garibaldi, 1/A - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Gothic house or Dall'Asta house
Descriptionone of the few private buildings in Parma still preserving medieval features. The facade boasts four terracotta late gothic style windows.
AddressVicolo Sant'Ambrogio, 3/A - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Ferrari Pelati palace
Descriptioninside this 18th century palace, worth a mention is the splendid dance hall, fully frescoed following the school of Bibiena.
AddressStrada Conservatorio, 2 - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Farnese theatre
Descriptionthe imposing wooden doorway of the theatre Farnese is nowadays the entrance to the National Gallery. The theatre Farnese, one of the most beautiful historical theatres in Italy, was built between 1618 and 1619 at the order of Ranuccio I with the aim to pay homage to Cosimo II de Medici, who had ...
AddressPalazzo della Pilotta, Piazza della Pilotta, 15 - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Fainardi Palace
Descriptionbuilt in the second half of 13th century, the palace was the seat of the Judge or Criminal court from the time of the Municipality until the end of the Farnese rule (1731). The hall where guilty prisoners were beheaded was called by the people Il curlo and in 1612, it was here that seven ...
AddressPiazza Garibaldi, 23 - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Palace of the Podestà
Descriptionbuilt between 1221 and 1240, the palace main feature is a large archway topped by windows with one light. The original medieval facade, once covered by a coating, has now been fully restored. It was one linked to the Palace of the Captain by a staircase not in existence anymore.
AddressPiazza Garibaldi, 1/A - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Palace of the Orsoline of Sacred Heart
Descriptiona 18th century building boasting a chapel dedicated to the Immaculate Conception, with a double vault in the Bibiena style, preciuos pieces of furniture and several exquisite paintings by parmesan artists.
AddressBorgo delle Orsoline, 2 - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Old hospital
Descriptionlining a stretch of Via D'Azeglio with its long, arcaded façade, the Old hospital of Misericordia was founded in 1201. Although the hospital was established in the Middle Ages, the present huge complex was certainly built later. Work was begun in 1476 by architect from Milan Giovanni Antonio da ...
AddressStrada D'azeglio, 45/A - 43125 - Parma (PR)

Title Nazzani Pettorelli Lalatta Palace
Descriptionthe palace was rebuilt in the 18th century by Feneuille but, from a romanic capital, sculpted in Verona marble and recently discovered, it can be presumed that it was originally raised in the 13th century. Various rooms still have frescoes and decorations of the 17th and 19th centuries, while a ...
AddressStrada Farini, 34 - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Miari palace
Descriptionprobably designed by Gian Francesco Testa, and not by Vignola as it was once believed, the palace was built in 1566. The main features of its square facade are four series of windows of different sizes, a rusticated ashlar portal and the balcony with banisters. Interiors, completely restored, ...
AddressStrada della Repubblica, 51 - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Villa Malenchini Fortuny
Descriptiondating back to the end of 16th century and surrounded by a romantic park, villa Malenchini was built by the noble family Lampugnani. Cesare Baglioni, who had worked at the Farnese court, was entrusted with the decorations of the vaults. In 1895 the noble woman Eletta Fortunata Raggio ...
AddressStrada Felino in Vigatto, 2 - 43124 - Parma (PR)

Title Venturini Palace
Descriptionnext to the church of S.Ambrogio, this house, once Collegiate of S.Girolamo, was purchased by Count Bajardi when the Collegiate moved in the curch of S.Pietro in 1519. A frescoed room, with angels and flowers painted on the vault and lunettes, is what remains of the ancient structure. The work, ...
AddressStrada Farini, 15 - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Golden slumbers in the Castles of the Duchy: accommodation among ancient walls
DescriptionCastles, villas and ancient mansions offer unforgettable accommodation in places riches with fascination: austere castles standing upon rocky spurs, sumptuous refined residences guarding small vilalges or stylish historical palaces a few steps away from ancient abbeys, will please you with ...
AddressCastles, residences and palaces in Parma and the province - Parma (PR)

Title San Giovanni Library
Descriptionthe library of the San Giovanni Monastery is one of the best restoration works made to the building when, in 1477, after a period of decline, it returned at its old magnificence, thanks to the arrival of the Santa Giustina congregation. The hall was frescoed in just one year, from 1574 to 1575, ...
AddressPiazzale San Giovanni, 1 - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Palatina national library
Descriptionon Wednesday 16 January 2013, after a closure due to the damages of a fire, the Palatina library opens the service of borrow and consultation of manuscripts and rares, in two rooms set for this purpose with legal standards. The access is from Borgo delle Cucine (behind the Pilotta palace). ...
AddressPalazzo della Pilotta, Piazzale Pilotta, 9/A - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Trianon fountain
Descriptionthe fountain (1712-1719) stands on the isle at the centre of the fishpond in the Ducal park and it was originally released for the garden of the Reggia in Colorno . It is a work by Giuliano Mozzani and it was put in 1920 in the actual position, according to the scenografic taste of the french ...
AddressParco Ducale - Parma (PR)

Title Roman bridge
Descriptionthe bridge in masonry, called Pons Lapidis, was built in Augustan period. With its eleven dissimilar arcades it used to be 140 meters long. Today only the foundations conglomerate remains from the original construction. Half-destroyed by floods, it was rebuilt by Teodorico in 493AD with various ...
AddressSottopassaggio Ponte Romano - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Ponte di Mezzo
Descriptionthe Ponte di Mezzo is situated at the end of Via Mazzini, starting from Piazza Garibaldi, dating back to the XIII century but reconstructed in 1932-34, it is one of the five bridges connecting the historical centre with the Oltretorrente. In the underpass two arcades of the ancient bridge of ...
AddressPonte Di Mezzo - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Europa bridge
Descriptionthe bridge is made of two different structures: a road bridge for cars and a covered one for pedestrians. The new Europa bridge will ease the link between the city center of Parma and the new district where are the offices of the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA). t a three stories ...
Address43122 - Parma (PR)

Title De Gasperi bridge
Descriptionopened in May 2005 the new bridge connects the busy area south of the city centre, in the nearby of the University Campus, to the eastern neighborhoods of Parma. It is a suspension bridge 177 metres long with steel cables supporting the deck, designed by famous architects Francesco Martinez y ...
AddressPonte De Gasperi - 43123 - Parma (PR)

Title Via Emilia
Descriptionthe Via Emilia is the main road crossing Emilia Romagna and Parma. Built by Marco Emilio Lepido in 187 B.C. in order to link Rimini and Piacenza, it coincides with the roman Centuriatio, still evident in the remaining stone bridge on the river Parma while the Cardum has become the present Via ...
Address43125 - Parma (PR)

Title Piazzale della Pace
DescriptionRemarkable body of public buildings, Piazzale della Pace has been recently redesigned on a project by one of the most popular architects in Europe, Mario Botta, rapidly becoming a meeting point for young people. Botta's high degree of sensitivity to the environment hosting his architectural ...
Address43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Piazza Garibaldi
Descriptionpiazza Garibaldi was designed since Medieval times to be the location of political power. Buildings around the square include the Town hall and the Governor's palace . Nowadays the square is one of the busiest spots in town, a meeting place home to bars and elegant shops. Heart of city life at ...
Address43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Piazza Duomo
Descriptionnestled in the heart of the town, Piazza Duomo is a square housing the Romanesque Cathedral and, on the southern side, a striking octagonal pink marble Baptistery , both considered among the most important Italian medieval monuments. Facing the Cathedral is the seat of the Bishop, the Vescovado ...
Address43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Oltretorrente
Descriptionit is here that the citizens of Parma paid with prison, political confinement and repression for their political fights. And it is here that in 1922 Guido Picelli led the resistance against the fascists of Balbo rising up the famous barricate, the barricades. Fascist believed they had broken ...
Address43125 - Parma (PR)

Title Piazza Ghiaia
DescriptionSince 1232 the market by the river is one of the most characteristic places in town, now including the largest covered market in the city and rows of stalls selling all sorts of things, from household goods to clothes or fruit, vegetables and flowers. In the past, criminals were sent to the ...
Address43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Court of Guazzatoio
Descriptionthe history of the Court of Guazzatoio is mixed with the one of the Pilotta Palace , which was build between the XVI and XVII century. More or less with the same size of the main court, the Guazzatoio was at the beginning emploied for a military use until the second half of the XX century. The ...
AddressPilotta Palace - Piazza Della Pace - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title St Francesco and Barriera Bixio gate
Descriptionthe restoration and the present shape of St. Francesco gate is due to Duke Ottavio Farnese (1562). Once the seat of the museum dedicated to Risorgimento, it shows in its upper part Baroque features and two statues representing Law and Justice. In the second half of the 19th century, to ...
AddressPiazzale Barbieri - 43125 - Parma (PR)

Title Santa Croce gate
Descriptioncommissioned by Paolo III in 1545, the building was probably designed by Benedetto Zaccagni, known as Torchiaro, as the following epigraph still shows today: Paulo III Farnesorium Famiglia Pont. Max. and underneath it, Sancte Crucis. Six decorated rooms were added by the Farnese family in the ...
AddressPiazzale Santa Croce - 43125 - Parma (PR)

Title San Lazzaro arch
Descriptiontanding at the eastern border of the town, the triumphal arch was designed by Giambattista Magnani. Giulio Cesare Amidano, together with Giovanni Lippi, Alessandro Giacardi, Annibale Bertoia and Agostino Salmi, decorated it with baroque paintings and stuccos depicting the most important events ...
AddressVia Emilia Est - 43123 - Parma (PR)

Title San Paolo park
Descriptionhidden inside a former convent founded in 985 and recently restored, the garden, with a direct entrance also from the public library Guanda, is actually what remains of the old convent kitchen garden and orchard where food and medicinal herbs were grown for the monastic community. In the 19th ...
AddressStrada Melloni, 3 - 43100 - Parma (PR)

Title Ducal park
Descriptionthe elaborated green architecture of the old trees in the Ducal Park was designed and in 1560 and extended in the 18th century. Decorated with sculptures by J.B. Boudard, it was subsequently adapted to the French style. The Park plays host to the Ducal Palace and the Palazzetto Eucherio ...
AddressParco Ducale - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Cittadella park
DescriptionPier Luigi Farnese wanted to build this mighty military citadel located in the south of the city in 1546, but works began only in 1591. The pentagonal rampart with five corner bastions was once surrounded by water and now encompasses a green public area of more than eleven hectares. The enter ...
AddressViale Delle Rimembranze, 5/A - 43123 - Parma (PR)

Title War memorial
Descriptionit was Mario Monguidi to turn the ancient tower of St. Paul into a war monument dedicated to those who died in all the wars, with no radical modifications, but overlapping wisely the new elements to the preexisting architectural structure. Its main constitutive elements are: the great tombstone ...
AddressStrada Melloni - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Tombs of Niccolò Paganini and Ildebrando Pizzetti
Descriptionthe cemetery was designed in 1817 by the Engineer Giuseppe Cocconcelli in a neoclassical style. Among the people who were first buried there there is (in the same year) the poet Angelo Mazza. In front of the entrance there is the main chapel (1819) dedicated to San Gregorio Magno. On the left ...
AddressViale Della Villetta, 31/A - 43125 - Parma (PR)

Title Monumental cemetery of Villetta
Descriptionthe monumental cemetery of the Villetta was built in 1817 on the will of Maria Luigia d'Austria, Duchess of Parma, after Napoleon's edict of Saint Cloud dated June 12th 1804 that prohibited burials in and around the churches within the city boundaries, as done for centuries. The cemetery is an ...
AddressViale Della Villetta, 29/B - 43125 - Parma (PR)

Title Monument to the partisan
Descriptionin the green area in front of the Pilotta Palace, known as Piazzale della Pace, is set the grand monument paying tribute to the Partisans' contribution during World War II. Designed by Guglielmo Lusignoli and cast by Marino Mazzacurati, the monument was partly made of bricks from houses bombed ...
AddressPiazzale della Pace - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Altar of Giuseppe Verdi monument
Descriptiondesigned by Lamberto Cusani, the altar dating back to the beginning of the 20th century, now set in the meadow in front of the Pilotta Palace, is just a fragment of the whole monument dedicated to Giuseppe Verdi once standing in front of the railway station and destroyed by bombs during second ...
AddressPiazza Della Pace - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Victory monument
Descriptionconceived by Lamberto Cusani (1920), the part in marble almost totally prepared by the soldiers and legionaries of the Scuola di applicazione di Fanteria di Parma, the part in bronze modeled by Ettore Ximenes, melted at the military arsenal in Turin with the metal taken from enemy, the monument ...
AddressViale Toschi - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Monument to Padre Lino Maupas
Descriptionthe monument celebrates Padre Lino, a simple francescan monk who dedicated his life to protect and help the poors. The bronze work was made by the sculptress from Parma Jucci Ugolotti, who also realized other works in the province of Parma. The monument, located in the Oltretorrente area, on ...
AddressPiazzale Inzani - Parma (PR)

Title Monument to Pietro Barilla
Descriptionlocated at the centre of a roundabout at the entrance of the historical part of the city by the Oltretorrente area, the fountain monument to Pietro Barilla was commissioned by the B arilla family to the sculptor Pietro Cascella, within a collaboration with the artist that included the restoring ...
AddressPiazzale Santa Croce - Parma (PR)

Title Benedetto Antelami's Deposition
Descriptionet in the right transept of the Cathedral of Parma, the Deposition of Christ carved by Antelami is a masterpiece of Italian art clearly showing influences from Romanesque Provence. The deposition dates to 1178, two decades before Antelami started working at the statues of the months, zoophorus ...
AddressPiazza Duomo - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Parmigianino monument
Descriptionprojected both in the architectural and figurative part and entirely executed by Giovanni Chierici, it was inaugurated in 1879. The monument consists of two parts: the fountain and the statue. Frames and mouldings decorate the quadrangular three floors base. The fountain occupies the first two. ...
AddressPiazzale della Steccata - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Monument to the fool Sicuri
Descriptionthe work is a creation of the sculptor Maurizio Zaccardi and it's dedicated to Enzo Sicuri, who has been defined the sidewalk philosopher. Sicuri used to live on the streets of Parma wearing a paper hat and clothes made out of sacks or black fabric or plastic. He also used to ride a bike or ...
AddressPiazzale della Macina - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Monument to the Barricate
Descriptionthe monument is a tribute to the working class antifascists led by Socialist Party MP Guido Picelli who confronted Italo Balbo's fascists for six days in the Oltretorrente area in August 1922. The wooden frames and granite blocks with sentences and images carved in stones are like an open book ...
AddressPiazzale Alberto Rondani - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Monument to Giuseppe Garibaldi
Descriptiontanding in the middle of the square, the statue by Davide Calandra, commemorating Garibaldi, was erected in 1893.
AddressPiazza Garibaldi - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Monument to Filippo Corridoni
Descriptionlocated at the beginning of Via D'Azeglio on the left after crossing the Ponte di Mezzo, the monument to Filippo Corridoni, on the square named after him, formerly known as Rocchetta, was unveiled in 1927. The craft, of decò inspiration, was created by the architect Mario Monguidi, while the ...
AddressPiazza Corridoni - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Hercules and Anteus monument
Descriptionthe only surviving statue among those adorning the Ducal Park at the time of the Farnese family, the copper group depicting Hercules and Anteus has been nicknamed by Parma citizens I du brasè, the two embraced. Cast by Flemish Teodoro Vanderstruck between 1684 and 1687 for the great fountain ...
AddressPiazzale San Francesco, 1 - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Dome of the Cathedral
Descriptionfrescoed by Correggio in the dome of the Cathedral of Parma between 1526 and 1530, the Assumption of the Virgin is a masterpiece of 16th century Italian art. After Correggio's style emerged in the decorations of the Church of San Giovanni between 1520 and 1523, the Assumption marked the ...
AddressPiazza Duomo - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Correggio monument
Descriptionthe monument dedicated to painter Antonio Allegri also known as Correggio is located next to the Town Hall palace in Garibaldi square. It was sculpted by Agostino Ferrari in 1870.
AddressPiazza Giuseppe Garibaldi - 43121 - Parma (PR)

Title Arturo Toscanini's monument
Descriptionat the biginning it was posed in the middle of ancient trees in the pergola of the Corale Verdi, near the Maestro's birthouse, in the heart of the Oltretorrente district. In occasion of the opening of the Zaccardi's exposition Effetti musicali, organized at the wellness centre Villa Eden in ...
AddressVia Emilia Est - 43121 - Parma (PR)