SAELA

Saela.eu NON utilizza cookie proprietari (v. informativa)

Places in historical and artistic value in BOLOGNA (BO)

Title Cathedral Metropolitana di San Pietro
DescriptionSt. Pietro is the city cathedral and was made by Pope Gregorio XIII in 1582 seat of the Archbishop (Metropolitana). The building saw its origins in the early Christian era even if the first evidences date back to the 10th century; in the past centuries a baptistery was located in front of the ...
AddressVia Indipendenza, 9 - 40121 Bologna (BO)

Title Basilica of San Petronio
DescriptionThe Basilica of St Petronio, honoring the patron saint (eighth bishop of Bologna from 431 to 450), is the most imposing (a length of 132m, a width of 66m, a height of 47m) and the most important church in Bologna.  Building started in 1390 under the supervision of the architect Antonio di ...
AddressPiazza Maggiore - 40124 Bologna (BO)

Title Complesso di Santo Stefano
DescriptionIt’s the most particular church complex in Bologna, the real city sanctuary and the cradle of the Fathers’ faith. Rose around a first fifth-century settlement, wanted by bishop Petronio, that after would have been joint by a reproduction of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem, Santo Stefano ...
AddressVia Santo Stefano, 24 - 40125 Bologna (BO)

Title Church of San Martino
DescriptionSince the XIII century San Martino has been the cradle of the Bolognese community of the Carmelites Order, the church was built in the first half of the fourteenth century. The church was provided with brick vaults in 1457 and with a new facade at the end of the XV century ( then it was reshaped ...
AddressVia Oberdan, 25 - 40126 Bologna (BO)

Title Church of SS. Salvatore
DescriptionThe SS. Salvatore church has ancient origins and since the 12th century it lodged the Canons Regulars of S. Maria di Reno.  In the 15th century they gave  to the building a more decorous structure, which was completly replaced in 1606-23 by a new monumental temple designed by the barnabite ...
AddressVia Cesare Battisti, 16 - 40123 Bologna (BO)

Title Church of Santi Bartolomeo e Gaetano
DescriptionThe S. Bartolomeo and Gaetano church was built in the remote past and in the 11th century belonged to the Benedictines of Nonantola. After having lodged a community of Cluniac monks in the '200 it was demolished in 1516 and was replaced by a more imposing building entrusted to the architect ...
AddressStrada Maggiore, 4 - 40125 Bologna (BO)

Title Church of San Giovanni in Monte
DescriptionThe history of this building- which rises above a little height in a picturesque square- refers to the symbology of the holy places in Jerusalem reproduced in the nearby ecclesiastic complex of Santo Stefano. The original round church of the 5th century became in 1118 seat of a community of ...
AddressPiazza San Giovanni in Monte, 1/2 - 40124 Bologna (BO)

Title Church of San Paolo Maggiore
DescriptionThe San Paolo Maggiore church was erased between 1606 and 1611 according to the will of the Regular Clergies of S. Paolo, Barnabites. It was built on the design of the brother architect Ambrogio Mazenta and in 1634-1636 the church was enriched with a graceful facade made by Ercole Fichi. ...
AddressVia Carbonesi, 18 - 40123 Bologna (BO)

Title Church of Santi Vitale e Agricola
DescriptionThe SS. Vitale and Agricola Church was built on the remains of the roman Arena where, according to the tradition, the saints Vitale and Agricola were martyred. Their corpses were recognised by S. Ambrogio during his visit in Bologna in 392. Rebuilt by the Benedictine monks during the 16th ...
AddressVia San Vitale, 50 - 40125 Bologna (BO)

Title Church of Santi Gregorio e Siro
DescriptionThe Church of SS Gregorio e Sirio was built in the old town centre of Bologna in 1532-1535 by Tibaldo Tibaldi and Giov. Antonio di Milano. The church was damaged by an earthquake, and the façade and the vault were rebuilt by Angelo Venturoli. The coat of arms above the portal belongs to the ...
AddressVia Montegrappa, 15 - 40121 Bologna (BO)

Title Church of San Procolo
DescriptionInside the church there is the sepulchre of San Procolo, one of the first christian martyr in Bologna. The church was rebuilt on the ruins of an ancient church (300 B.C.). It became gothic between the 14th and the 15th centuries. It is possible to admire artworks by Lippo di Dalmasio, Bartolomeo ...
AddressVia D'Azeglio, 52 - 40123 Bologna (BO)

Title Ex Church San Giorgio in Poggiale
DescriptionLocated in the heart of Bologna the Church of St. Giorgio in Poggiale was acquired and restored by the Cassa di Risparmio in Bologna in the '70s in order to have a place where to preserve its collections.   In 1922 it was given to the Foundation Cassa di Risparmio in Bologna that maintains the ...
AddressVia Nazario Sauro, 22 - 40121 Bologna (BO)

Title Sanctuary of San Luca
DescriptionTraditional place of worship for the presence of an image the Virgin of St. Luca as well as reassuring visual landmark for Bolognese approaching town, the shrine located on top of Guardia hill is one of Bologna's symbol. An arcade with more than 600 vaults - unique for its length covering almost ...
AddressVia di San Luca, 36 - 40135 Bologna (BO)

Title Basilica of San Domenico
DescriptionOne of the richest churches in Bologna for the historical art, it is the Preaching Order’s first creation and guardian of its founder S. Domenico’s mortal remains. Started after the saint’s death (1221), it features a sober Romanesque facade, next to it there is the Ghisilardi Chapel of the...
AddressPiazza San Domenico, 13 - 40124 Bologna (BO)

Title Basilica of San Francesco
DescriptionThis church is the first example of French Gothic style in Italy. It was built between 1236 and 1254 on the initiative of the Franciscan community that stayed in the city already since 1218 with Bernardo di Quintavalle - one of the first disciples of San Francesco who came in Bologna after few ...
AddressPiazza San Francesco - 40122 Bologna (BO)

Title Church of Santa Maria dei Servi
DescriptionSanta Maria dei Servi shines for its superb Gothic structure particularly remarkable in the apsidal part which is brightened up with warm brick decorations. It is preceded by an airy four-sided portico- supported by lissom marble columns- began in 1393 on the church's side and finished on the ...
AddressStrada Maggiore, 43 - 40125 Bologna (BO)

Title Church of Santa Maria della Vita
DescriptionThe monumental site of Santa Maria della Vita, is the most important example of Baroque architecture in Bologna. It includes the Sanctuary, which houses the largest collection of terracotta sculptures of the Italian Renaissance, the Compianto sul Cristo Morto by Niccolò dell’Arca; the Oratorio...
AddressVia Clavature, 10 - 40124 Bologna (BO)

Title Basilica of San Giacomo Maggiore
DescriptionPlaced in one of the most attractive squares of Bologna, it was built between 1267 and 1315 by the hermit Augustine Fathers and it was restored at the end of the fifteenth century. The inside part, which is composed of a wide and bright nave, hosts famous art treasures, among them the Bentivoglio...
AddressPiazza Rossini - 40126 Bologna (BO)

Title Complex of San Michele in Bosco
DescriptionImposing architectural complex which includes the church and the adjacent former convent of the olivetans, one of the greatest and the nicest in Italy. It stands on one of the most panoramic places of the surrounding hills of Bologna and its parvis offers a wonderful view of the city and of the ...
AddressVia Pupilli, 1 - 40136 Bologna (BO)

Title Corpus Domini o Chiesa della Santa
DescriptionGenerally known as the "Church of the Saint" for the presence of Saint Caterina de’ Vigri’s incorrupted body, founder in 1456 of the first convent of Clarisse nuns in Bologna, is one of the most important sanctuary of the city for the people’s devotion. Built between 1477 and 1480 by the ...
AddressVia Tagliapietre, 19 - 40123 Bologna (BO)

Title Church of Santa Maria della Pioggia
DescriptionThe sanctuary, situated at the crossing between Galliera road and Riva di Reno road, has been recently restored both in the inside, by the Foundation of the Mount together with the Camilliani, and in the frescoed facade, by the Pii Istituti Educativi(Charitable Educational Institutions), the ...
AddressVia Riva Reno, 124 – 40121 Bologna (BO)

Title Ex-Church of Santa Cristina
DescriptionThe church of Santa Cristina is open to the public since 2007 and it is an important music center. The monk Nicola Bellinazzo is the director of Schola Gregoriana Benedetto XVI, a school of Gregorian Chant founded inside the church.   The church holds many extraordinary works of art such as ...
AddressPiazzetta Morandi – 40125 Bologna (BO)

Title Church of San Girolamo della Certosa
DescriptionS. Girolamo della Certosa is an ancient and imposing monastic centre located on the west side of the city which from the last century has been given over to a public cemetery. It derives from the Carthusian Order which settled here in 1333. The church was consecrated in 1359 and at the beginning ...
AddressVia della Certosa, 18 - 40133 Bologna (BO)

Title Cenobio di San Vittore
DescriptionThe cenoby, which dates back to far-off times, stands outside Porta Castiglione, not far from the hill of Barbiano, and it is plunged in the greenness of fields and woods. In the XI century there was already a monastic community of Lateran Canons Regular.   In 1178 the bishop of Bologna, ...
AddressVia San Vittore, 40 - 40136 Bologna (BO)

Title Rotonda della Madonna del Monte
Description“Rotonda della Madonna del Monte” is a central plan church dating back to the 12th century. It is what remains of an ancient Benedictine monastery that belonged to Antonio Aldini. When Napoleon went to Bologna, during a visit to the monastery of Madonna del Monte, he said that the view was ...
AddressVia dell'Osservanza, 35/a - 40136 Bologna (BO)

Title Church of Santa Maria della Carità
DescriptionThis church has been rebuilt in 1583 on the plant of an old church. An extension was built in 1680 by G.B. Bergonzoni.   Santa Maria della Carità holds many important works of art by Galanino, Valesio, Cignani, Franceschini, Quaini, Crespi, Carracci, Gandolfi, Calvi and Bezzi.
AddressVia San Felice, 64 - 40122 Bologna (BO)

Title Church of Santa Maria della Visitazione
DescriptionSanta Maria della Visitazione al Ponte delle Lame, was once surrounded by the Reno Canal and by a crowd of lively washerwomen. As it is known, it was originally built on a bridge overlooking the water, in honour of Maria’s visit to Elizabeth, mother of San Giovanni Battista. Its foundation ...
AddressVia Lame, 50 - 40122 Bologna (BO)

Title Church of Santa Maria e San Valentino della Grada
DescriptionThis church conserves the relics of the head of Saint Valentine. The name “Santa Maria della Grada” comes from a grating placed under the great tower that was used to protect the city from war attacks.
AddressVia Monaldo Calari, 10 - 40122 Bologna (BO)

Title Sinagoga
DescriptionTowards the end of the 18th century the Jewish community slowly  began to come back to Bologna, from where it had been expelled in 1593. A first small oratory was founded by Angelo Carpi in his house near Piazza Malpighi in 1829. In 1868 the community rented a room in a building in via de' ...
AddressVia dè Gombruti, 9 - 40123 Bologna (BO)

Title Oratory of Battuti
DescriptionOn the first floor of the church you find this splendid Oratory, which has been recently restored in order to be opened to the public. It is the unique example of the local Baroque style. Once it was seat of the Confraternita dei Battuti and thanks to its excellent acoustics it is the ideal place...
AddressVia Clavature, 8 - 40124 Bologna (BO)

Title Oratory of San Colombano
DescriptionThanks to the famous painters who decorated this place (students of Carracci painters), the Oratory becomes and hidden unknown jewel. The decoration started at the beginning of 1600, by Francesco Albani, Lucio Massari, Domenichino, Francesco Brizio, Guido Reni and other artists, who represented ...
AddressVia Parigi, 5 - 40121 Bologna (BO)

Title Oratory of Santa Cecilia
DescriptionAlong the portico on the side of the church of S. Giacomo Maggiore, in the via Zamboni, we find the entrance to the Oratory of St.Cecilia and Valeriano. It comes from an old romanic church commissioned by Giovanni 2nd of Bentivoglio, lord of Bologna. It was made smaller and completely frescoed to...
AddressVia Zamboni, 15 - 40126 Bologna (BO)

Title Oratory of San Rocco
DescriptionIt is dedicated to the Patron Saint and healer of the plague-strick-en. Inside you can see the invaluable frescos painted by some pupils of Carracci from 1618. The saint's life is represented in 11 frescoes on the walls. The coffered ceiling, giving illusion effects, was made be well-known ...
AddressVia Monaldo Calari, 4/2 - 40122 Bologna (BO)

Title Oratory San Filippo Neri
DescriptionThe actual building is due to a remarkable restoration made between 1997 and  1998, as it was  completely damaged by bombs during the second war in 1944. The restoration tried to remain faithful to the original design by the author Alfonso Torreggiani, looking through the photos taken before ...
AddressVia Manzoni, 5 - 40121 Bologna (BO)

Title Oratory of San Bartolomeo di Reno
DescriptionFrom 124 Riva di Reno road you can have access to the rooms that lead to the first floor of the complex once named after San Bartolomeo di Reno, which was hosting some rooms of the children's home and the oratory, seat of the Company of Saint Bartolomeo. You can climb the wonderful eighteenth ...
AddressVia Riva Reno, 124 - 40121 Bologna (BO)

Title Oratory of San Carlo
DescriptionThe Oratory, which is dedicated to St. Carlo Borromeo, dates back to 1667, when the Confraternity of S. Maria del Paradiso decided to build it. The whole decoration, including the vault representing St. Charles in ecstasy, was painted by Giacomo Friani, an artist from the school of Mitelli and ...
AddressVia del Porto, 3/5 40122 Bologna (BO)

Title Oratory of San Giovanni Battista dei Fiorentini
DescriptionIn Corte de Galluzzi, near Via D’Azeglio,  is this Oratory of San Giovanni Battista Fiorentini. The Galluzzi family built the Church it was originally attached to and the tower on the left of this building. In 1546 and after many years of disrepair, the church was purchased by a group of ...
AddressCorte dè Galluzzi, 6 - 40124 Bologna (BO)

Title Oratorio Santa Maria dei Guarini
DescriptionThe oratory is the seat of “Confraternita della Compagnia degli Artisti” since 1817. It has been rebuilt between 1784 and 1788 by Giuseppe Tubertini. It is placed on the first floor of Galleria Acquaderni, built by Edoardo Collamarini in 1928. The oratory holds a painting from the 15 th ...
AddressGalleria Acquaderni, 3 – 40126 Bologna (BO)

Title Sostegno del Grassi
DescriptionPietro Brambilla da Gorgonzola built it at the end of the 15 th century. Vignola rebuilt it 50 years later. The original basin is still working. Sostegno dei Grassi sul Navile is the seat of “Ponte della Bionda”. It is also called “Sostegnino”.
AddressVia dei Terraioli, 9 - 40131 Bologna (BO)

Title Sostegno del Landi
DescriptionIt is also called “Sostegnazzo”. It was built in 1560 and its hexagonal basin is still intact. On one side of the main building there is a paper mill that worked until 1950.
AddressVia Cristoforo Colombo, 35/43 - 40131 Bologna (BO)

Title Cineteca di Bologna - Ex Manifattura Tabacchi
DescriptionArchives, libraries, exhibitions, laboratories, cinema and offices: located in the ex-Manifattura Tabacchi, the Cineteca di Bologna has concentrated most of the activities in the area of ex-Macello, creating a kind of audiovisual "citadel".
AddressVia Riva di Reno, 72 - 40122 Bologna (BO)

Title Bagni di Mario
DescriptionThis water tank was built by Tommaso Laureti, an architect from Palermo, during the Renaissance, to supply the Fountain of Nettuno. It is composed of a big octagonal tank, four channels and three tanks to collect water. There is also a beautiful chimney entirely covered by limestone. It has never...
AddressVia Bagni di Mario, 10 - 40136 Bologna (BO)

Title Sostegno del Torreggiani
Description“Sostegno dei Torreggiani” was built in 1560 and it is composed of a main building, a basin and a housing complex. Until few years ago on a wall of the main building there was a baked clay relief representing Virgin Mary and baby Jesus. Now it is possible to see only the frame.
AddressVia del Sostegno, 5 - 40131 Bologna (BO)

Title Serraglio dell'Aposa
DescriptionAposa river still enters the city here, on the corner of via Rubbiani. In the building, that is part of the old walls surrounding the center, there were the devices of the grading placed at the entrance. Aposa and the moat were built on two different levels. Another similar building was used to ...
AddressViale Panzacchi – 40136 Bologna (BO)

Title Manifattura delle Arti
DescriptionLa Manifattura delle Arti is located in the centre of Bologna and covers and area of approx. 100,000 square meters. It is one of the most important cultural centre in Europe, both for its dimensions, for its multimedia features and for the quality of the cultural proposals in its different ...
AddressVia Azzo Gardino, 65 Bologna (BO)

Title Il Sostegno del Battiferro
DescriptionSostegno del Battiferro is a dam built for the first time in 1439 and completed by Vignola in 1548. Its name comes from an old iron factory that produced layers and bars. Later it became a factory of copper vases. It is located between Canalazzo and Canale Fossette.The main building has been ...
AddressVia della Beverara, 123 - 40129 Bologna (BO)

Title Salara
DescriptionThis building was originally used as a salt warehouse but between 1783 and 1785 a new store was built. During the Middle Ages Po river and Reno river were the principal ways for the trade of salt. This area is now called “Manifattura delle Arti” because of the presence of Cineteca (film ...
AddressVia Don Giovanni Minzoni, 18 - 40121 Bologna (BO)

Title Archaeological excavations in Salaborsa
DescriptionThe city plan of Felsina (this is the original name of Bologna) was designed by the Romans between the 2nd and the 3rd century BC, when they founded Bononia. It had a late republican style. The streets formed right angles so that the scheme could have been easily reproduced in case of enlargement...
AddressPiazza Nettuno, 3 - 40124 Bologna (BO)

Title Campanile della Cattedrale di San Pietro
DescriptionThis bell tower is 70 meters high. They have started to build it in 1184 and finished it in 1426. The roofing that covers the old bell tower dates back to the 10 th century. Inside the tower there is a bell called “la nonna”(the grandmother) which, with a weight of 3300kg, can’t be easily ...
AddressVia Indipendenza, 9 - 40121 Bologna (BO)

Title Campanile della Basilica di San Petronio
DescriptionThe bell tower of Giovanni da Brensa (1481/1495) is 62 meters high. The four bells date back to the 15 th century and can be rung by hand. One of them is called “la scolara” (the pupil) since it was rung at the end of the lessons in Archiginnasio.
AddressPiazza Maggiore - 40124 Bologna (BO)

Title Campanile della Basilica di San Domenico
DescriptionThe bell tower of San Domenico was built in 1313 in Gothic style and it’s 51 meters high. Its ringing can be both electric or by hand. It has five bells made by various foundry workers: La Grossa by Antonio and Pietro Francesco Censori (1603); La Mezzana by Giacomo Antonio Bonettini (1707); La ...
AddressPiazza San Domenico, 13 - 40124 Bologna (BO)

Title Campanile della Basilica Santa Maria dei Servi
DescriptionThis bell tower has been completed in 1455 and is 52 meters high. It is characterized by its very thin columns.
AddressStrada Maggiore - 40125 Bologna (BO)

Title Campanile della Chiesa di San Giacomo Maggiore
DescriptionThis bell tower, built in 1471, is placed on the left side of the church and is 55 meters high. The sound of its bells is considered to be the most beautiful in Bologna. It is possible to reach the bells through a narrow flight of stairs.
AddressPiazza Rossini - 40126 Bologna (BO)

Title Campanile della Chiesa dei Santi Bartolomeo e Gaetano
DescriptionThis bell tower has been completed in 1694. It is 52 meters high and the cusp was added 50 years later. In 1748 the architect Giacomo Lanfranchi rebuilt the spire in order to harmonize it with the rest of the building. In occasion of the Eucharistic celebration in 1857 the priest don Giovanni ...
AddressStrada Maggiore, 4 - 40125 Bologna (BO)

Title Campanile della Chiesa di San Girolamo della Certosa
DescriptionThe bell tower of the church of San Girolamo della Certosa was built in 1611 by Tommaso Martelli. It is 50 meters high with a square-shaped foundation and brick work walls. It is composed of four levels. In the lower level there are rectangular windows and in the other three levels there are huge...
AddressVia della Certosa 18, 40133 Bologna (BO)

Title Le due Torri: Garisenda e degli Asinelli
DescriptionThe two towers the traditional symbol of Bologna, stand at the strategic point where the old Aemilian way entered the town. Today they stand right at the middle of the opening of Porta Ravegnana square, but this does not correspond to their original layout, which comprised wooden constructions ...
AddressPiazza di Porta Ravegnana - 40126 Bologna (BO)

Title Tower - Clock Tower
DescriptionBuilt at the beginning of the 13th century, the Orologio Tower (Clock Tower) is located at the intersection of Piazza Maggiore and via IV Novembre. The clock was installed on its façade in the 15th century, after the height of the tower had been increased.
AddressPiazza Maggiore, 1 - 40124 Bologna (BO)

Title Tower - Arengo Tower
DescriptionRising 47 metres up into the sky and built in the 13th century, it seems to sit on the porticos of the Voltone del Palazzo del Podestà. In the mid-1400s the housing of a 4,700 kg bell (called campanazzo) was installed, and the bell itself was hung there in 1453 by Aristotele Fioravanti, using a ...
AddressPiazza del Nettuno, 1 - 40125 Bologna (BO)

Title Tower Prendiparte or Coronata
DescriptionBuilt in the twelfth century by the guelph Prendiparte family, as the last bulwark against the attacks of enemies of the Prendiparti Tower also known as Coronata Tower. It reaches a height of 60 meters, making it the second highest after Asinelli Tower. Originally it seemed to have been higher ...
AddressPiazzetta Prendiparte, 5 - 40125 Bologna (BO)

Title Tower - Galluzzi Tower
DescriptionGalluzzi Tower was built in 1257, and was originally taller than its current 30 metres. The original entrance was on a floor about 10 metres above ground level, and the Galluzzi family used to enter it through a window located halfway up the tower, using mobile wooden bridges that stuck out from ...
AddressCorte de' Galluzzi, 1 - 40124 Bologna (BO)

Title Tower - Azzoguidi Tower
DescriptionAccording to measurements taken in 1983, the tower is actually 54.80 metres high and not 60-61 metres as it was previously thought. It was taller when it was built. A shop is located in a space carved out from the selenite-block base of the tower. From here you can see the Bell Tower of San ...
AddressVia Altabella, 15 - 40126 Bologna (BO)

Title Tower - Agresti Tower
DescriptionThe tower dates back to the 13th century and is 20 metres high. Since the end of the 14th century, it has been property of the Collegio di Spagna. Following a great fire in 1641 it was rebuilt, albeit shorter, to guarantee it greater stability.
AddressPiazza Galileo, 1 - 40123 Bologna (BO)

Title Tower - Alberici Tower
DescriptionJust behind the Piazza della Meranzia. The family erected it in the XII century. Its 27 meters high were long oppressed by a modest building which hid the view and only in 1928, thanks to an accurate restoration of the adjacent houses, has rediscovered the ancient breath.
AddressVia Santo Stefano, 4 - 40125 Bologna (BO)

Title Tower - Carrari Tower
DescriptionWhich is 22 metres high. The tower is the only authentic building on the entire “faux-mediaeval” block, which was actually constructed in the 1930s. However, the tower’s origins date back to the 14th century; it now hosts a private residence.
AddressVia Marchesana, 12 - 40124 Bologna (BO)

Title Tower - Guidozagni Tower
DescriptionAfter the collapse of the original structure in 1487, it was restructured into a tower-house. It bears witness to the feudal past of the city and the rivalry among the noble families of the period.
AddressVia Albiroli, 1 - 40126 Bologna (BO)

Title Tower - Lambertini Tower
DescriptionIt was purchased in 1294 by theComune  of Bologna to enlarge his residence, formed by palatium vetus - the complex before the Podesta, and palatium novum, the so-called Re Enzo .
AddressPiazza Re Enzo, 1 - 40125 Bologna (BO)

Title Tower - Lapi Tower
DescriptionIncorporated into the walls of Palazzo d’ Accursio complex dates back to 1359. Under Napoleon, was reduced almost by half, that could be 30 meters to the current 18.
AddressVia IV novembre, 1 - 40123 Bologna (BO)

Title Uguzzoni Tower
DescriptionIn order to have the most striking view of the tower, we suggest taking via San Simone from via Oberdan and turning into vicolo Mandria on your right. Here, the Uguzzoni Tower stands out in a corner where time seems to have stopped. The thirty-two-metre tall tower has a wide base covered with ...
AddressVicolo Mandria, 1 - 40126 Bologna (BO)

Title Library of the Archiginnasio
DescriptionHistory of the library The Library of the Archiginnasio seeks to preserve, increase and promote the documentary patrimony gathered over the ages in the Palazzo of the Archiginnasio. The Library offers specialized information and research documentation and is involved in cultural promotion. Due to...
AddressPiazza Galvani, 1 - 40124 Bologna (BO)

Title Umberto I Library (San Michele in Bosco)
DescriptionHistory of the library The Central Library, titled so after King Umberto I, arose from the sixteenth-century rooms where once the books of the Olivetani Monks were kept. There is controversy as to the exact date of the construction of the first library of the convent of Saint Michele in Bosco: to...
AddressVia Giulio Cesare Pupilli, 1 – 40136 Bologna (BO)

Title Istituto Storico Parri Emilia-Romagna
DescriptionThe Historical Institute Parri Emilia-Romagna was founded in July 1963, in the groove and as a regional articulation of INSMLI (National Institute for the History of the Liberation Movement in Italy). Its first name was indeed Deputation for Emilia and Romagna for the history of the Resistance ...
AddressVia Sant'Isaia, 18/20 – 40123 Bologna (BO)

Title Salaborsa
DescriptionHistory of the library Inaugurated in December 2001,a cultural space and multimedia within Accursio Palace, former seat of the historic town that overlooks the Piazza Maggiore, always the center and heart of Bologna. In more recent years, the Salaborsa hosts the Municipal Government’s ...
AddressPiazza Nettuno, 3 - 40124 Bologna (BO)

Title Library of Archivio Storico
DescriptionHistory of the library The library of the Archivio Storico specializes in the history of the university and students. It originated in the seventies by a group of books from various sources, but still related to the themes that characterize it. With the establishment in March 2000 of the Centro ...
AddressVia Galliera, 3 - 40121 Bologna (BO)

Title Biblioteca d’Arte e di Storia di San Giorgio in Poggiale
DescriptionThe art and history library is located in the ex church of San Giorgio in Poggiale and holds the book heritage of Fondazione Cassa di Risparmio in Bologna, a newspaper library and a photo archive. In the library there are ancient and modern books, manuscripts, incunabulum and edicts. The new ...
AddressVia Nazario Sauro, 22 – 40121 Bologna (BO)

Title The Italian Women's Library
DescriptionHistory of the library The Italian Women's Library was born at the end of the Seventies as part of Women's Documentation, Research and Initiative Centre, thanks to a project originated by Associazione Orlando - an indipendent feminist organisation - which wished to create an institution devoted ...
AddressVia del Piombo, 5 - 40125 Bologna (BO)

Title Library Casa Carducci
DescriptionHistory of the library The collection Carducci During his dense cultural activity Giosue Carducci has collected a large library that documents the best of literary production in the sixteenth to the nineteenth century. Early editions (XVII-XVIII secc.), texts rare hard to find in other libraries ...
AddressPiazza Carducci, 5 - 40125 Bologna (BO)

Title Library of Osservanza
DescriptionCollects the texts of the humanities-literary character and has a mostly conservative. The library has a wealth of 26.000 volumes that come from the funds of the sixteenth and incunabula collected from all convents of Friars Minor of the Province of Emilia. Area of interest Study and Research ...
AddressVia dell’Osservanza, 88 - 40136 Bologna (BO)

Title University Library of Bologna
DescriptionHistory of the library Two acts of generosity gave rise to the University Library of Bologna. Luigi Ferdinando Marsili (1658-1730), a noble of Bologna and General of the Empire, created in 1712 the Institute of Sciences and endowed it with his own scientific collections, his books, 900 oriental ...
AddressVia Zamboni, 35 - 40126 Bologna (BO)

Title Library of San Francesco
DescriptionThe library of the Church of St. Francesco has a wealth of volumes and 39.000 pamphlets, a computerized catalog, the Archives Rubbiani (vestry of St. Francesco), the Historical Archives of the Bologna Province of Friars Minor Conventual, the music archive (3.000 autograph manuscripts of which ...
AddressPiazza Malpighi, 9 – 40123 Bologna (BO)

Title Library of the Music
DescriptionHistory of the library The collection inherited by Padre Martini is one of the most prestigious collections  for the repertoire of printed music from '500 to '700, for his incunabula, for the precious manuscripts, for opera librettos, as well as for its unique collection of autographs and ...
AddressStrada Maggiore, 34 - 40125 Bologna (BO)

Title Library of San Domenico
DescriptionThe library inside the Convent of St. Domenico has a wealth of 90,000 volumes, 170 current periodicals, 170 resigned, 2  newspapers kept an electronic catalog in the completion and  audiovisual documents. The texts are stored in philosophy, theology, history and Dominican spirituality, ...
AddressPiazza San Domenico, 13 - 40124 Bologna (BO)

Title Fontana del Nettuno
DescriptionFontana del Nettuno (Fountain of Neptune) was built between 1563 and 1566 by the Flemish sculptor Giambologna. It is a symbol of the power of the Pope: he ruled the world like Neptune ruled the seas. At the feet of the statue there are four little angels. They represent the rivers of the four ...
AddressPiazza del Nettuno – 40124 Bologna (BO)

Title Fontana Vecchia
DescriptionLeaned against the imposing façade of the Palazzo d’Accursio (Town Hall), the fountain was designed by the architect Tommaso Laureti from Palermo, the same author of the Fontana di Nettuno - Fountain of Neptune (sixteenth century). Curiosity: The fountain was used for the needs of the people ...
AddressVia Ugo Bassi - 40121 Bologna (BO)

Title Canale delle Moline
DescriptionCanale delle Moline (Moline Channel) is the extension of Canale di Reno. Few meters after the walls of Trecento, it joins Torrente Aposa. They both debouch into Canale Navile. Canale delle Moline has been hidden by the surrounding buildings for a long time. Now it is possible to see it through ...
AddressVia Capo di Lucca - 40126 Bologna (BO)

Title Canale Navile
DescriptionThe origins of Canale Navile are to be dated back to the Roman age. For about 700 years, it has been the main communication route to the harbors in the Adriatic sea. In 1548, when a harbor was built inside the old walls of the city, the channel became as it looks now. Unfortunately, in 1964 the ...
AddressVia del Navile - 40131 Bologna (BO)

Title Torrente Aposa
DescriptionIt is the only natural river in Bologna. It originates in the hills and empties into canale Navile. Torrente Aposa is 7500 meters long. Originally open, it has been covered during the centuries but it maintains its old shape. From 1997 to 2000, it has been used as a trunk for drain water. Access ...
AddressPiazzetta Marco Biagi - 40126 Bologna (BO)

Title Ponte della Bionda
DescriptionIt is an ancient bridge on canale Navile. It was built at the end of 17 th century to let horses drag the boats coming from the plain. Now it has become an ideal place for a walk. The surrounding vegetation is cured by volunteers.
AddressVia dei Terraioli, 13 - 40129 Bologna (BO)

Title Ponte del Vignola
DescriptionPonte del Vignola is located beyond Ponte della Bionda, going past Pelago di Corticella. It was built during the first years of the 19 th century.
AddressVia dell'Arcoveggio, 188/a - 40129 Bologna (BO)

Title Finestrella di Via Piella
DescriptionUnder the Porta Govese or Torresotto dei Piella we reach the famous window of the Canale delle Moline and the canal bridge, overlooking both.   Corner of the city is known as "little Venice". Looking out between the buildings, you can see a scroll of the few stretches of water between the ...
AddressVia Piella, 2 - 40126 Bologna (BO)

Title The former Jewish ghetto
DescriptionThe layout of Bologna's 16th century ghetto can still be precisely traced amid the narrow streets in the medieval heart of the city: here, a maze of alleys, covered bridges and small windows tells the story of a whole community forced to live in a specific area of the town by order of the Papal ...
AddressVia dell'Inferno - 40126 Bologna (BO)

Title Corte Galluzzi
DescriptionAn archway on one side of Piazza Galvani in the Corte de' Galluzzi, with representative of what was an area consortium. Galluzzi Tower dominates the court.
AddressCorte de' Galluzzi - 40124 Bologna (BO)

Title Piazza Maggiore
DescriptionThis is the heart of the city and surrounded by important buildings: the Basilica di San Petronio, and on the right side of the church, Palazzo dei Notai, Palazzo d'Accursio, Palazzo del Podestà and the spectacular façade of Palazzo dei Banchi.
AddressPiazza Maggiore – 40124 Bologna (BO)

Title Piazza Nettuno
DescriptionPiazza Nettuno is adjacent to Piazza Maggiore. It took its name from the statue of Neptune. Here is also located the library Salaborsa that opened for the first time in December 2001.
AddressPiazza del Nettuno - 40124 Bologna (BO)

Title Piazza Santo Stefano
DescriptionOne of the most characteristic square of the city, where the complex known as Seven Churches, the Basilica of Santo Stefano, is located. The square is surrounded by important palaces and it often hosts cultural events and concerts. On the left side there is Corte Isolani, leading to Strada ...
AddressVia Santo Stefano, 24 – 40125 Bologna (BO)

Title Piazza di Porta Ravegnana
DescriptionIn Piazza Ravegnana are located Two Towers (symbol of Bologna), and the statue of San Petronio, the patron saint of the city. Here starts the University area.
AddressPiazza di Porta Ravegnana - 40126 Bologna (BO)

Title Piazza Galvani
DescriptionPiazza Galvani is located at the back of Basilica di San Petronio in front of Palazzo dell’Archiginnasio. In the middle of the square there is a statue representing Luigi Galvani conducting an experiment on a frog.
AddressPiazza Galvani - 40124 Bologna (BO)

Title Piazza Verdi
DescriptionPiazza Verdi is located in the city center and it is crossed by via Zamboni. It is not far from “Due Torri” (Two Towers), the symbol of Bologna. Here start some important streets such as Via Petroni, Via Dei Bibiena, Largo Respighi, Via de’ Castagnoli and Via del Guasto. On one side of the ...
AddressPiazza Giuseppe Verdi - 40126 Bologna (BO)

Title Piazza San Martino
DescriptionThe square of the ghetto can be divided into three different areas: two of them overlook onto via Valdonica and via Marsala respectively, and the third one is the yard of San Martino church. The statue of the Madonna del Carmine by Andrea Ferreri (1705) rests on a thin stone column. The church ...
AddressPiazza San Martino – 40126 Bologna (BO)

Title Piazza dei Martiri
DescriptionInitially named to Re Umberto I, took place at the end of the last century the ancient gardens of Garagnani. On the square is the building that hosted the regional workshop for a long time, Benedetto XV, who now has moved into the hilly area of Barbiano.   Text taken from the site of the Tour ...
AddressPiazza dei Martiri, 1 - 40122 Bologna (BO)

Title Piazza Carducci
DescriptionSquare dedicated to the Italian poet Giosuè Carducci. Here both Museo del Risorgimento and Museo di Casa Carducci (Resorgimento Museum and Carducci's house) are located.
AddressPiazza Carducci – 40125 Bologna (BO)

Title Piazza VIII Agosto
DescriptionThe name of the square comes from the day, in 1848, of a famous battle in which Austrians were beaten by the citizens of Bologna after a riot. Before the use of this appellation, people called it simply “piazza del mercato” (marketplace), for it used to host the local livestock market every ...
AddressPiazza 8 agosto – 40126 Bologna (BO)

Title Via dell'Inferno
DescriptionVia dell'Inferno was the main artery where many twisted streets ended: via de' Giudei, vicolo di S. Giobbe, vicolo Mandria, via del Carro and via Valdonica. This wide area was closed between two gates, the first one at the entrance of via de' Giudei and the second one in the present via Oberdan ...
AddressVia dell'Inferno - 40126 Bologna (BO)

Title Via De' Giudei
DescriptionThe ghetto is an ideal place for a relaxing stroll through its peaceful and hidden alleys, starting from via de' Giudei, which was the entrance for people coming from piazza di Porta Ravegnana. The wide square overlooked by the two impressive towers and by San Bartolomeo church, which forced the ...
AddressVia De' Giudei - 40126 Bologna (BO)

Title Piazzetta Marco Biagi
DescriptionPiazzetta Marco Biagi is located in the Jewish ghetto, between via dell'Inferno and piazza San Martino. On 22nd November 2002, this square was dedicated to Professor Marco Biagi, a Labour Law Scholar and government economic adviser killed while coming back home on 19th March 2002.
AddressPiazzetta Marco Biagi – 40126 Bologna (BO)

Title Via Indipendenza
DescriptionVia Indipendenza is the main street of Bologna. It starts from Piazza Maggiore and ends at the railway station. It has been completed in 1890 when the city became an important railway junction. Now via Indipendenza is the heart of the shopping area but it also hosts the famous theater “Arena ...
AddressVia dell'Indipendenza - 40121 Bologna (BO)

Title Canton de' Fiori - Flowers' Corner
DescriptionCharming stretch of street which currently houses the homonymous bar, it derives its name from the presence of some florists’. In the back of one of these, in November 1794, two university students - Luigi Zamboni (from Bologna) and Giovanni Battista De Rolandis (from Asti) – prepared an ...
AddressVia Indipendenza, 1 - 40121 Bologna (BO)

Title Via Ugo Bassi
DescriptionTogether with Via Rizzoli, Via Ugo Bassi occupies a portion of the ancient Roman main road ax, namely the urban stretch running in the direction west-east of the Via Emilia (189 BC). The present appearance of the street dates back to the interventions between the two World Wars and is a typical ...
AddressVia Ugo Bassi - 40121 Bologna (BO)

Title Albergo del Pellegrino
DescriptionA plaque, located on the façade of the present building (the original plaque of 1886 is kept inside the door) recalls the presence here of the Hotel del Pellegrino from 1500 to 1930. The text of the inscription, written by Giosuè Carducci, remembers that here stayed the great English poet Lord ...
AddressVia Ugo Bassi, 7 - 40121 Bologna (BO)

Title Via Rizzoli
DescriptionThe cafés, banks and shops of Via Rizzoli are  the contemporary image of the street that two thousand years ago was already present with  the name of Via Aemilia. This stretch of the Roman decumanus maximus (main road axis direction west-east) links the heart of the city, Piazza Maggiore, with...
AddressVia Francesco Rizzoli - 40125 Bologna (BO)

Title Via Zamboni
DescriptionVia Luigi Zamboni is a historic street located in the center of Bologna and heart of university life. It crosses Piazza Verdi and Largo Respighi where there are Teatro Comunale and the offices of many faculties. It took its name from Luigi Zamboni, an Italian patriot who lived in the 18 th century.
AddressVia Zamboni, 1 – 40126 Bologna (BO)

Title Via D'Azeglio Massimo
DescriptionVia D'Azeglio, with its luxurious shops, is the fashionable meeting point of the city. Due to its proximity to Piazza Maggiore, which always has been the social and political heart of the city, via D'Azeglio mirrors the wish of the citizens to live well: since the road was closed to traffic, ...
AddressVia Massimo D'Azeglio – 40123 Bologna (BO)

Title Via Riva di Reno
DescriptionThe name of via Riva di Reno derives from Canale di Reno, an underground channel that is been covered after WWII. At the intersection between via Riva di Reno and via Galliera, there is the church of Madonna della Pioggia that holds “L’Adorazione dei pastori”, a painting by Agostino ...
AddressVia Riva di Reno – 40122 Bologna (BO)

Title via del Porto
DescriptionSo named because old access point to the Port Canal, the port for river traffic from Bologna (on channel Navile). The eastern section of the road was named in 1801 via dei Murelli, in memory of the retaining walls were put up for the safety of pedestrians in the second half of the sixteenth ...
AddressVia del Porto – 40122 Bologna (BO)

Title The Porticoes of Bologna
DescriptionPorticoes: a 40-km-long embrace The nearly 40-km-long  porticoes make the city of Bologna unique in the world and have been nominated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Since 1100, when the growth of the University led to create new spaces for urban development, Bologna's porticoes have become a ...
AddressBologna (BO)

Title Voltone del Podestà
DescriptionVault under the Palazzo del Podestà. It originally housed the city market and the benches of the notaries; later on, blasphemers were set on the pillory and hangings were performed under its arches. A few centuries later, the vault acquired a religious significance when it was decorated with the...
AddressPiazza Maggiore, 1 - 40124 Bologna (BO)

Title Meloncello Arch
DescriptionThe Meloncello Arch was completed in 1732 by the architect Carlo Francesco Dotti. From this point diverge the three main porticos of Bologna: To the north, passing alongside the stadium to the Certosa (municipal cemetery); To the east, leading to the Saragozza Gate and the center of the city; To ...
AddressVia Saragozza, 235 - 40134 Bologna (BO)

Title Voltone di Palazzo Manzoli-Malvasia
DescriptionThe only original entrance to the former ghetto which still exixts today is the vault connecting San Donato church (18th century) to the ancient Manzoli-Malvasia palace built over the remains of a 13th century house, of which only a few door arches remain. The palace was restored in the 16th ...
AddressVia Zamboni - 40126 Bologna (BO)

Title Porta Castiglione
DescriptionBelongs to the third and final circle of the walls of the second half of the thirteenth century.  Rebuilt in the early fifteenth century and brought to its present form in  the early twentieth century, following the demolition of the walls. Could they called the "Door to the channel" because it...
AddressPiazza di Porta Castiglione - 40136 Bologna (BO)

Title Porta Galliera
DescriptionIt could be called the “Porta della rocca ostile” for the closeness to the castle wanted by Cardinal Bertrando del Poggetto and erected between 1330 and 1333 just on the right. Since its construction, the Porta Galliera’s rule has been to link roads and streams with the plain and with ...
AddressPiazza 20 Settembre - 40121 Bologna (BO)

Title Porta Lame
DescriptionOriginally Porta Lame had a covered bridge house and, in 1334, two drawbridges were built, one for carts and one for pedestrian crossing. The gate was completely rebuilt in its current Gothic style between 1674 and 1677, after the demolition of the medieval bridge house. After the restauration ...
AddressPiazza 7 Novembre 1944 - 40122 Bologna (BO)

Title Porta Maggiore
DescriptionNowadays Porta Maggiore is also known with the name of Porta Mazzini . It rises at the east-end of the historic city centre, along the Via Emilia, just at the crossroads between Strada Maggiore and Via Mazzini, into the third and last circle of walls dating back to the second half of 13 th ...
AddressPiazza di Porta Maggiore - 40125 Bologna (BO)

Title Porta Mascarella
DescriptionThis gate rises at the end of Via Mascarella, just before Ponte Stalingrado . It was built in 1300 and belongs to the third and last circle of walls dating back to the second half of 13 th century. Some remnants of the original construction, revised and reduced in 16 th century, are still ...
AddressPorta Mascarella - 40126 Bologna (BO)

Title Porta San Donato
DescriptionAlso known as Porta Zamboni, the door, which "closes" the University area of the city, was built in the thirteenth  century in defense of the road to the valleys of Argenta and flanked by Ferrara and accommodation for the guard who was guarding. In 1354 it was equipped with a drawbridge. For ...
AddressPiazza di Porta San Donato, 40126 Bologna (BO)

Title Porta San Felice
DescriptionPorta San Felice was built in 13 th century, and in 1334 it was equipped with a fortress and a drawbridge. The gate was first renovated in 1508, and then in 1805, on the occasion of Napoleone’s visit. Other renovation works date back to 1840, when some swallow-tailed merlons was added to its ...
AddressPiazza di Porta San Felice - 40122 Bologna (BO)

Title Porta San Vitale
DescriptionP orta San Vitale was built in 1286 together with the adjoining capitain and guards’ quarters and with a great tower, which was demolished at the beginning of 16 th century. In 1952 it was deprived of its forepart, or ravelin, and it came in its present forms. This city-gate belongs to the ...
AddressPiazza di Porta San Vitale - 40126 Bologna (BO)

Title Porta Santo Stefano
DescriptionThe ancient Porta Santo Stefano it connected to Via Toscana, in the direction of Florence. It was demolished in 1843 and reconstructed by the architest Filippo Antolini, by command of Pope Gregory XVI. The two buildings, which were used as customs house, were called the “barriera Gregoriana”,...
AddressPiazza di Porta Santo Stefano - 40124 Bologna (BO)

Title Porta Saragozza
DescriptionIt may also be called the “Porta Sacra” or the “Porta dei pellegrini” for its fortunes, in particular from 17th century on. In fact, it was a reference point for believers who reached the top of the Colle della Guardia to worship the icon of the Beata Vergine di San Luca. Moreover, its ...
AddressPiazza di Porta Saragozza - 40123 Bologna (BO)

Title Porta Govese
DescriptionIs also called Torresotto dei Piella. The Torresotto in Via Piella belongs to the second circle of walls, which began in the late twelfth century. Preserved in the side of a Madonna and saints by Francesco Brizio, to seventeenth century.
AddressVia Piella, 1 - 40126 Bologna (BO)

Title Giardini Margherita
DescriptionIt is the largest and certainly the most popular city park. It was designed by the Piemontese Sambuy  to provide Bologna with an ample green and public place as in other Italian and European cities. It was opened in 1879 with the name of “Passeggio Regina Margherita” ( as a tribute to the ...
AddressViale Massimo Meliconi, 1 - 40136 Bologna (BO)

Title Parco della Montagnola
DescriptionIt is the oldest park of Bologna and it has always been a location used for performances, games and sport competitions. This park is open to the public since 1664. The current plan is to be dated back to the first years of the 19th century, when Napoleon ordered the architect G.B Marinetti to ...
AddressVia Irnerio, 2/3 – 40126 Bologna (BO)

Title Giardini di via Filippo Re
DescriptionThe garden in Via Filippo Re is in front of Palazzina della Viola in the very center of the University area and not far from via San Donato. Sometimes  it hosts live concerts and events.
AddressVia Filippo Re – 40126 Bologna (BO)

Title Giardino del Guasto
DescriptionThis garden has been created in 1974 by Gennaro Filippini. It once belonged to the Bentivoglio family that ruled Bologna until 1506. The following year the garden has been destroyed and abandoned until the first part of the 15 th century when a great part of its area has been occupied to build ...
AddressVia del Guasto, 1 - 40126 Bologna (BO)

Title Giardino Ferruccio Busoni di Villa Mazzacorati
DescriptionThe garden surrounds a historical monumental villa, old country residence inhabited by the Bologna's noble families Marescotti, Aldrovandi and Mazzacorati from the beginning of 16th until the last century. The neoclassic appearance of the villa is due to transformations in the second half of 18th...
AddressVia Toscana, 19 - 40141 Bologna (BO)

Title Parco di Villa Spada
DescriptionThe park has an extension of about 6 hectars on the mountain ridge situated between the river Meloncello and the Ravone. Groups of trees and grace alternate on the hillside of the Casaglia Hill that descends to Saragozza street. From the highest points (120 m), there are marvelous views to the ...
AddressVia di Casaglia, 3 - 40135 Bologna (BO)

Title Parco di San Pellegrino
DescriptionThe park is situated in a nice panoramic position on the mountain ridge between the valleys of Meloncello and Ravone and it descends from the Monte Albano towards the Villa Spada. There is a nice view to San Luca. Originally, there were two country houses Casa Giuliani and Casa Breventan existing...
AddressVia di Casaglia - 40135 Bologna (BO)

Title Giardino di Villa delle Rose
DescriptionAt the entrance of the garden a magnificent staircase, composed of several flights, and a winding plane tree-lined avenue, lead to the villa going through the gentle slope. Built in the eighteenth century as the summer residence for the Cella family, the villa includes an elegant balcony boasting...
Addressvia Saragozza 232, 234 - 40135 Bologna (BO)

Title Parco dei Calanchi di Sabbiuno
DescriptionThe Park is located in the farthest end of the city area, on the borderline of the town of Sasso Marconi. It stretches to both sides of the ridge between the Reno and Savena rivers, across the route of Sabbiuno (on the tracks of an ancient road that leads to Tuscany). The area on the Savena ...
AddressVia di Sabbiuno - 40136 Bologna (BO)

Title Parco di Monte Paderno
DescriptionThe Park stretches to the peak of Paderno Mountain (359 mt.), one of the most popular elevation in the hills surrounding the city. The route del Forte, leading to the mountain peak, reminds one of the fortresses built in the years following the country's post -Unification for the defense of the ...
AddressVia dei Colli - 40136 Bologna (BO)

Title Parco del Paleotto
DescriptionThe Park extends on the link side of the valley of Savena river and stretches on the riverbank for a short distance   The Park was named after the Bolognese dynasty of  Paleotti who managed the lands along the hills up to the church of Jola for a long time. The river Savena has had great ...
AddressVia del Paleotto - 40141 Bologna (BO)

Title Certosa di Bologna - Monumental cemetery
DescriptionCertosa monumental cemetery is one of the oldest cemetery of Europe, a monument that has a worldwide importance, a place that is unique for the sculpture and the architecture of the XIX and the XX century. The Etruscan tombs in the Certosa town Cemetery were discovered between 1869 and 1871 and ...
AddressVia della Certosa, 18 - 40133 Bologna (BO)

Title Jewish cemetery at the Certosa of Bologna
DescriptionThe Jewish cemetery is part of the city's “Certosa” and is accessed through the church in Via della Certosa. This burial  ground dates back to second half of the 1800s and was created through the efforts of Rabbi Marco Momigliano who, as he recounts in his Memorie, managed to acquire a ...
AddressVia della Certosa, 18 - 40133 Bologna (BO)

Title Lapidi Ebraiche
DescriptionThe first Jewish cemetery in Bologna, located between the Baraccano church and the church of San Pietro Martire, was closed in 1569 after the expulsion of the Jews from the town. In order to leave no trace, their cemetery was ceded to San Pietro nuns, then completely destroyed. The four ...
AddressMuseo Civico Medievale Via Manzoni, 4 - 40121 Bologna (BO)