SAELA

Saela.eu NON utilizza cookie proprietari (v. informativa)

Places in historical and artistic value in FERRARA (FE)

Title Ferrara, town of the Renaissance and its Po Delta
DescriptionUNESCO, the United Nations Education, Scientific and Cultural Organisation, included the territory around Ferrara in its lists on two separate occasions.
AddressVia Boccaleone, 19 - Ferrara (FE)

Title Giovanni Boldini Museum
DescriptionTEMPORARILY CLOSED. Re-opening after restoration. The Boldini Museum is dedicated to the Ferrarese painter who lived between 1842 and 1931.
AddressFerrara

Title Synagogues
DescriptionThe Jews' presence in Ferrara dates back at least until the 12th Century and thanks to the religious tolerance of the Este family the community grew, welcoming refugee groups of Ashkenazi from the German Empire territories and later, Sephardic Jews expelled from Spain and Portugal.
AddressFerrara

Title National Archaeological Museum
DescriptionThe museum, housed on the first floor of the Palazzo Costabili, exhibits the findings of the Etruscan city of Spina...
AddressVia XX settembre, 124 - Ferrara (FE)

Title Museum of Palazzo Schifanoia
DescriptionSituated in the 14th-century wing of the Palazzo Schifanoia since 1898, it houses works of a various nature including paintings, manuscripts, small bronzes, objects in ivory and decorated ceramics.
AddressVia Scandiana, 23 - Ferrara (FE)

Title Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art 'Filippo De Pisis'
DescriptionTEMPORARILY CLOSED. Re-opening after restoration. Exposition begins with two works by Mario Sironi: Justice and Mural Composition.
AddressCorso Porta Mare, 9 - Ferrara (FE)

Title Museo del Risorgimento e della Resistenza
DescriptionThe museum guests rare and precious testimonies of the partecipation of the ferraresi patriots in the epic deed of the Italian Risorgimento.
AddressCorso Ercole I d'Este, 19 - Ferrara (FE)

Title Museo dell'Ottocento
DescriptionTEMPORARILY CLOSED. Re-opening after restoration. The Museum of the Ottocento begins with three rooms chiefly dedicated to religious subjects (Giovanni Pagliarini Madonna and Child) and historical ones (Gaetano Turchi Torquato Tasso in Sant'Anna).
AddressCorso Porta Mare, 9 - Ferrara (FE)

Title Jewish Museum
DescriptionTEMPORARILY CLOSED. Re-opening after restoration. In the Jewish Museum there is an exhibition of traditional and ceremonial objects that illustrate different aspects of the life of every Jew, from birth (pidyón, or redemption, and objects for circumcision) to death (fragments of tombstones and...
AddressVia Mazzini, 95 - Ferrara (FE)

Title Lapidary Museum
DescriptionThe Lapidary Museum, housed in the ex-church of Santa Libera, has a rich collection of Roman works in marble from the province of Ferrara.
AddressVia Camposabbionario - Ferrara (FE)

Title Pavilion of Contemporary Art
DescriptionTEMPORARILY CLOSED. Re-opening after restoration. The PCA, Pavilion of Contemporary Art, hosts temporary exhibitions displaying outstanding works of art by international artists.
AddressFerrara

Title Museum of rural life
DescriptionThe Museum of rural life was created through the cooperation of Mr. Guido Scaramagli and the Municipality of Ferrara.
AddressVia Imperiale, 265 - Ferrara (FE)

Title Museum of Natural History
DescriptionThe museum offers the visitor a broad review of mammals, reptiles, amphibians, fish, birds, invertebrates and insects covering branches of the natural sciences such as zoology (the ornithological collection is particularly well-endowed) and entomology.
AddressVia De Pisis, 24 - Ferrara (FE)

Title National Picture Gallery
DescriptionCreated in 1836, the Picture Gallery was the first public collection of Ferrarese paintings, put together to bring a halt to the dispersion of local artistic patrimony by setting up a modern museum in which to conserve and promote Ferrara's art and culture.
AddressFerrara

Title Cathedral Museum
DescriptionThe Cathedral Museum of Ferrara is sited in the ex church of San Romano. It forms part of the Civic Museums of Ancient Art and mostly holds objects belonging to the Cathedral.
AddressFerrara

Title Modern and Contemporary Art Gallery
DescriptionThe Modern and Contemporary Art Gallery houses important, prestigious temporary exhibitions organised in collaboration with Ferrara Arte,...
AddressFerrara

Title Monastery of Corpus Domini
DescriptionThe monastery stands in the old part of the city, at the centre of a maze of narrow streets, in one of medieval Ferrara's smartest areas, just a stone's throw from San Francesco and the palace once owned by the Este family.
AddressVia Pergolato, 4 - Ferrara (FE)

Title Monastery of Sant'antonio in Polesine
DescriptionSet in the heart of the medieval city, the monastery still gives the sense of isolation and tranquillity it did during its early years, when it stood upon an island in the middle of the Po.
AddressVicolo del Gambone - Ferrara (FE)

Title Cathedral
DescriptionThe cathedral of Ferrara dates from the 12th century and bears witness to all the historical periods of the city. The outstanding façade, divided into three sections, was begun in Romanesque style, still visible in the lower part.
AddressPiazza della Cattedrale - Ferrara (FE)

Title Church of Gesu'
DescriptionBuilt for the Jesuits in 1570 to the design ofthe architect Alberto Schiatti, the church has a simple and austere brick façade, divided into two sections and with three portals decorated with marble.
AddressVia Borgoleoni, 56 - Ferrara (FE)

Title Church of San Cristoforo alla Certosa
DescriptionThe building of the present-day church, attributed to Biagio Rossetti, began in 1498 and ended in 1551.
AddressPiazza Borso, 50 - Ferrara (FE)

Title Church of S. Domenico
DescriptionThe Dominican complex, composed of the church and the large monastery, little of which still exists, was located exactly on the line that divided the medieval city from the Renaissance one.
AddressVia Spadari - Ferrara (FE)

Title Church of San Francesco
DescriptionThe church, erected in 1594 on a pre-existing Franciscan complex, the church is a masterpiece of the architect Biagio Rossetti.
AddressPiazzale San Francesco - Ferrara (FE)

Title Church of San Giorgio
DescriptionThe presence of the church, dedicated to the patron saint of the city, is documented as long ago as the 10th century.
AddressPiazzale San Giorgio, 29 - Ferrara (FE)

Title Church of San Paolo
DescriptionThe building was reconstructed in its present-day form after the earthquake of 1570 by the architect Alberto Schiatti. The ex-convent with two elegant cloisters still stands alongside it.
AddressCorso Porta Reno, 60 - Ferrara (FE)

Title Church of Santa Maria in Vado
DescriptionOf ancient origins, the church was built near a ford (vado in Italian) that crossed one of the many canals that intersected the area.
AddressVia Borgovado, 3 - Ferrara (FE)

Title Oratorio dell'Annunziata
DescriptionBuilt in the 14th century, it was once the home of the Brotherhood of Death, which handled the burial of all the city's forlorn folk and particularly worshipped the Holy Cross.
AddressVia Borgo di Sotto, 49 - Ferrara (FE)

Title Municipal Theater
DescriptionThe theatre of Ferrara was built between 1790 and 1797, under the direction of Antonio Foschini and Cosimo Morelli.
AddressCorso Martiri della Libertà, 5 - Ferrara (FE)

Title Casa Romei
DescriptionGiovanni Romei became administrator to the lords of Ferrara and married the princess Polissena d'Este. On the Via di San Francesco he had a house built that showed his high ranking.
AddressVia Savonarola, 30 - Ferrara (FE)

Title Palazzo Bonacossi
DescriptionThis was built in 1468 for Diotisalvi Neroni, a Florentine exile protected by Borso d'Este.
AddressVia Cisterna del Follo, 5 - Ferrara (FE)

Title Palazzo Costabili
DescriptionIn 1502 work began on the construction of a large palace on the Via della Ghiara (now Via XX Settembre) for Antonio Costabili, Ferrara's ambassador at the court of Ludovico il Moro, the Duke of Milan.
AddressVia XX Settembre, 124 - Ferrara (FE)

Title Palazzo dei Diamanti
DescriptionThe magnificent Palazzo dei Diamanti, at the centre of the Addizione Erculea, on the important crossroads known as the Quadrivio degli Angeli belonged to the duke's brother Sigismondo d'Este.
AddressCorso Ercole I d'Este, 21 - Ferrara (FE)

Title Palazzo Municipale
DescriptionBegun in 1245, the City Hall was the residence of the Este family until the 16th century. The main entrance is through Volto del Cavallo, opposite the cathedral, and is flanked by two sculptures, copies of the original 15th century ones.
AddressPiazza Municipale, 2 - Ferrara (FE)

Title Palazzo Schifanoia
DescriptionThe name of the palace derives from the motto 'schivar la noia' meaning 'avoid tedium' and refers to the building's function as a place for fun and recreation as it was an Estense ‘Delizia' (palace for recreation).
AddressFerrara

Title Palazzina Marfisa d'Este
DescriptionThe Villa is a splendid example of a 16th-century high-class residence and was once surrounded by magnificent gardens that connected it to other buildings known as Casini di San Silvestro.
AddressCorso Giovecca, 170 - Ferrara (FE)

Title House of Ludovico Ariosto
DescriptionThe house, probably built to the design of Girolamo da Carpi, has a simple but elegant brick façade.
AddressVia Ariosto, 67 - Ferrara (FE)

Title Palazzo Renata di Francia
DescriptionThe palazzo was built around 1475, possibly to a design by Pietro Benvenuto degli Ordini.
AddressVia Savonarola, 9 - Ferrara (FE)

Title Palazzo Paradiso - Ariostea Library
DescriptionThe palace was built in 1391 and decorated with scenes of court life and motifs drawn from the literature of chivalry.
AddressFerrara

Title Estense Castle
DescriptionIn Ferrara in 1385, a dangerous revolt convinced Niccolò II d'Este of the need to erect mighty defences for himself and his family thus the Castello di San Michele was built, a fortress erected against the people.
AddressLargo Castello - Ferrara (FE)

Title Corso Giovecca
DescriptionThis street, built by Biagio Rossetti by demolishing the old walls, forms the link between the Medioeval city to the south, and the Addizione Erculea to the north,...
AddressFerrara

Title Piazza Ariostea
DescriptionThis very special oval piazza set below ground level and also famous for the races of the Palio, is the work of the architect Biagio Rossetti.
AddressFerrara

Title Piazza Trento Trieste
DescriptionThe piazza is the beating heart of the city. It dates back to the Middle Ages and the building of the new cathedral dedicated to St. George around which the seats of religious, civil and lordly power, in the shape of the family who in fact ruled Ferrara, were concentrated.
AddressFerrara

Title Quadrivio degli Angeli
DescriptionThe quadrivium was the name given to the crossroads where Corso Ercole d'Este crosses Corso Porta Mare (to the right) and Corso Biagio Rossetti (to the left).
AddressFerrara

Title Via delle Volte
DescriptionThis charming medieval street marks the axis along which the so-called linear Ferrara developed between the 7th and 9th centuries A.D. and which greatly influenced the further development of the entire city.
AddressFerrara

Title Via San Romano
DescriptionThis ancient road was the main link between the market square (currently Piazza Trento e Trieste) and the port, which was situated at the present via Ripagrande.
AddressFerrara

Title Piazza Municipale
DescriptionPiazza Municipale was once the former court of honour of the Ducal Palace that is dominated by the magnificent Scalone d'Onore (stairway of honour) built by Pietro Benvenuto degli Ordini.
AddressFerrara

Title Corso Ercole I d'Este
DescriptionIt was called Via degli Angeli after the church of St. Mary of the Angels that once rose at the end of it.
AddressCorso Ercole I d'Este - Ferrara (FE)

Title Jewish Ghetto
DescriptionIn the heart of the medieval city lies the ghetto, an area which conserves the memories of the centuries-old Jewish Community of Ferrara and where the same community was from 1627 to 1961.
AddressFerrara

Title The city walls
DescriptionThe ancient Walls of Ferrara encircle the historic centre almost without interruption for nine kilometres, constituting one of the oldest and most impressive...
AddressFerrara

Title Porta Paola
DescriptionPorta Paola was designed and built in1612 by Giovan Battista Aleotti and dedicated to Pope Paul V who was pontiff at that time.
AddressFerrara

Title Porta degli Angeli
DescriptionThe Porta degli Angeli was built in 1526, but was already included in the 15th Century design, at the bottom of Via degli Angeli.
AddressRampari di Belfiore 1, in fondo a corso Ercole I d’Este - Ferrara (FE)

Title The Duchesses’ Garden
DescriptionThe Duke's Garden, also known as “Duchesses' Garden”, has been organized between 1473 and 1481, after the transformations of Palazzo Ducale, which has been partially rebuilt by the will of Duke Ercole I of Este.
AddressEntrance from Piazza Castello. - Ferrara (FE)

Title Urban Park G. Bassani
DescriptionThe territory of Barco is located between the city and the river Po. It was one of the Este's game reserves, related to the famous "Delizia di Belfiore", within the walls of the city, and so devoted to the entertainment and amusement of a refined and cultivated court.
AddressVia Bacchelli - Ferrara (FE)

Title Parco Massari
DescriptionThe park takes its name from the adjoining palace, which was built at the end of the XVIth. century, and which has the biggest public gardens within the city walls, covering an area of about 4 hectares.
AddressCorso Porta Mare - Ferrara (FE)

Title Parco Pareschi
DescriptionThis was originally the garden of the Estense Palace, said to be of St. Francis, which was built in the second half of the XVth Century by Pietro Benvenuto of the Francescan Order, and then continued by Biagio Rossetti.
AddressCorso Giovecca - Ferrara (FE)

Title Charterhouse
Description
AddressFerrara

Title Jewish cemetery
Description
AddressFerrara