SAELA

Saela.eu NON utilizza cookie proprietari (v. informativa)

Point of interests in Rome

TitleArea sacra di Sant’Omobono
Address
TimeVI sec. a.C.-XVI sec. d.C.
DescriptionAt the foot of the Capitoline Hill, at the southern edge of Forum Boarium, stand two temples, dedicated respectively to Fortuna and Mater Matuta (divinities connected to the agricultural and female world) built in the VI century B.C. and reconstructed several times. In the VI century A.D. in the cella of the temple of Mater Matuta, the church of San Salvatore in portico was built, developed during the medieval era and later dedicated (1575) to Sant’Omobono, by whose name the area is known today. In the current state of repair, it is difficult to distinguish between the many structures those elements from the individual phases of the temples. The most ancient archeological evidence confims the worship of Mater Matuta, then still carried out in the open air. In the VI century B.C., the first temple was built. It was small in size and decorated with splendid architectural pottery (today in the Musei della Centrale Montemartini). At the beginning of the V century A.D., the building was reconstructed on a high base, partly to avoid the flooding of the Tiber, and was later flanked by the Temple of Fortuna. From this time, the history of the two buildings, identical in size and form, continued in parallel until the last restorations of the II century A.D. In 264 B.C., Fulvio Flacca dedicated a circular donario after the conquest of the Estruscan Volsini.The complex was brought to light during the construction works of the Via del Mare in 1937. In the excavations, fragments of ceramics were found from the middle of the Bronze Age, related to a nearby dwelling, presumably in the area of the Capitoline.


Opendata from:  Filas | Distretto Tecnologico della Cultura - futouring.eu
 Licence: